Uninsured, Anti-Obamacare Sheriff Now Begging For Money To Pay Medical Bills[UPDATED]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Feb 27, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You know what? I actually kind of feel sorry for him, it must be humiliating to have to show the world how the universe is punishing you for being a bastard. But on the bright side, thanks to the ACA, now that he and his wife have pre-existing conditions they should have no problem getting insurance in the future.

2. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This response to the gofundme page sums it up beautifully.

Attached Files:

3. kds1 Suspended

kds1

4. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The comments on gofundme are pure gold. Unfortunately, the lesson from this experience will probably go right over the poor idiot's head.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

He is asking people to donate out of their free will.
    Obama Care would force people to pay for this guys overpriced medical bills.

The problem with the medical system in the USA is that the prices are inflated.
    Obama Care does not solve or even mention this problem.
    Instead it covers up the real problem by having everyone pay the absurd prices.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Although I'm not against Obamacare, my thoughts on the funding aspect of it are the same as the funding of social programs in general. While I believe it is our responsibility to take care of those in need, I don't believe it is right to have the government force those who are stingy and don't care about the poor to take care of the poor.

I support voluntary government run social programs and those who choose not to participate shouldn't be allowed to get any type of assistance from the government. The only recourse for these people should they become needy would be to literally beg for help in the streets. In the case of medical assistance, a hospital would no longer be required to assist that person and if they did, the hospital could either bill that person directly for the full cost or just write it off as charity.

8. kds1 Suspended

kds1

9. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Since you have no clue what you're talking about, let me educate you. Obamacare wouldn't force anyone to pay for his hospital bills. Obamacare requires him to purchase his own private health insurance through his company of choice, the monthly insurance premiums would be significantly less than his current medical bill of $30,000. Society wouldn't be paying for him, his insurance company would. HOWEVER, if he can't afford to pay his $30,000 medical bill and needed to start a godundme page to beg for handouts, he probably doesn't have a very high income. If that's the case, he may have very well qualified for subsidies under Obamacare that would have made his monthly insurance premiums significantly less, maybe even close to nothing! Yes, the taxpayer funds those subsidies, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than his $30,000 hospital bill.

Now, he gets to pay his $30,000 bill with the money of people who felt some pity for his stupidity. He would have saved them a bunch of money by just signing up for health insurance on healthcare.gov. Lucky for him, when he finally decides to purchase health insurance in the future, the insurance companies won't be able to discriminate against him and his wife for their newly contracted "pre-existing conditions". Thanks to Obamacare, that practice has been banned.

You're welcome. You've become a much more knowledgable person today.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

You didn't understand my post.

11. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I did, though. You claim that medical costs in the US are too high and you're probably right. However, that's irrelevant here. If he followed the law and had health insurance at little cost to him, then his multi-billion dollar insurance company would be picking up the tab for his medical bills. Not the taxpayers, not the government, and not the kind people at gofundme.

12. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You still don't understand his post. I don't think he is complaining about the concept of obmacare. What I think he is saying is that because the medical cost is overinflated the fact that you have to pay insurance and the insurance company pays the bill it means everyone is paying way too much.

There are issues to be addressed that would then make Obmacare more affordable.

From my prospective Obmacare did not go far enough.

13. kds1 Suspended

kds1

It's a hell of a lot more affordable than paying for your own health insurance before the ACA.

14. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Sure he is. And the first two lines show a serious misunderstanding of it...
    Agreed. Single payer, ftw.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

Damn, this assclown can get over $20,000 and the page I started because my son's autism therapy bills have depleted us (even with full , very expensive insurance), got exactly zero dollars.

Gotta love this country.

16. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It all depends how much exposure there is. This guy is well known, even he's well known for being an idiot. Getting a gofundme page to take off isn't easy.

17. kds1 Suspended

kds1

How does gofundme work anyway? Do you have to pay taxes on the money donated to you?

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

From their site:

Unfortunately, we're unable to provide specific tax advice since everyone's situation is different. While this is no means a guarantee, most donations on GoFundMe are simply considered to be 'personal gifts' which are not taxed as income in the US. Additionally, only donations made to a legally registered non-profit or charity may be considered eligible for donors to claim as a tax deduction. Again, every situation is different so please consult with a tax professional in your area.

BUT:

Gifts are considered non-taxable income, but if the gift creates income, that income would be taxable. An example would be if someone gave you a bank CD valued at $1,000 and you gained interest of $50; the interest amount of $50 would be taxable income. The following link will provide more information related to what is considered taxable and non-taxable income.

That last part is from a tax prep web site.

19. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Weird. I'd think the IRS (and especially the State of New York) would be all over this tax wise.

Carry on....

20. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Another naieve Ayn Rand follower meets reality.

I feel sorry for his sick wife. A husband's supposed to look after his wife.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I believe there is a group of people in the US, maybe not this sheriff who think free Emergency Room service is their best option (FREE) and rail against something like the ACA.

The entire idea of using donations for anything like this as a basis for a viable health program is a joke. The donation pool of money is just not a reliable enough of a source to budget and it's less expensive to society as a whole if we all chip in through taxes. Note, I just made a bunch of conservatives have siesures. :p

22. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Policy holders would be paying the costs via premiums they pay to the insurance company, which would need to make a profit to continue in business. The insurance company is just a middleman that channels money for those who pay for services and those who deliver them. Since ACA requires everyone to carry insurance, we are all paying--not just insurance companies.

23. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yes, that's pretty much the basic concept behind any form of insurance.

Yes, and in return you also have health coverage for yourself should something happen to you. Isn't it nice how civilized society works?

Besides, if someone doesn't have insurance, the taxpayer will end up footing their bill anyway except that way it'll be much more expensive than insurance premium subsidies. Unless of course they can find enough sympathetic fools to donate on gofundme. :rolleyes:

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obamacare is still horrible at the end of the day. How a government bankrolled by the insurance industry forcing all citizens to buy private goods gets approval by the left will surprise me forever.

What's next? Affordable cellphone act, sponsored by ATT?

25. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It was better than the system we had before, if we're stuck with a private insurance system in this country then we're going to make it as accessible to everyone as possible. Also, there is no such this as a true "the left" in this country. If there were, single payer healthcare would have been a done deal years ago. Democrats are center-right, Republicans have devolved into the far right.

If you're low income, you're already eligible for an affordable cell phone. :)

You can thank Ronald Reagan (aka Jesus) for that one!