Union opposes Eagle Scout volunteerism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://www.mcall.com/news/all-a8_5scout.7084728nov15,0,6238384.story

In pursuit of an Eagle Scout badge, Kevin Anderson, 17, has toiled for more than 200 hours hours over several weeks to clear a walking path in an east Allentown park.

Little did the do-gooder know that his altruistic act would put him in the cross hairs of the city's largest municipal union.

Nick Balzano, president of the local Service Employees International Union, told Allentown City Council Tuesday that the union is considering filing a grievance against the city for allowing Anderson to clear a 1,000-foot walking and biking path at Kimmets Lock Park.

I understand their frustration after layoffs and the like however they need to get real. Its a volunteer, and not just a regular volunteer, a Boy Scout trying to obtain the highest status one who is a member of can.

Goons through and through

2. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Disgusting. As an Eagle Scout myself, looking back, it'd never even occurred to me that a labor union would oppose a BSA service project. They can go suck a giant hairy one.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Funny you didn't quote the other parts of the article:

Sounds like Balzano is letting a lot go, but trying at the same time to represent the union's best interests.

4. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Yeah, yeah...I'm sorry, but this never should have been brought up in the first place. It's not like the Boy Scouts came in to supplant the union or something--and it's hardly a bizarre or unusual thing to have Eagle Scout service projects in parks.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Never let the truth get in the way of a good conspiracy.

"See! Librools hate Boy Scouts!" Christ. :rolleyes:

You're correct. But still- I can see their point. They're getting laid off from their jobs.

6. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Yes, and while we're at it, conservatives can't spell, all unions are evil, and Obama's an evil alien Muslim because his middle name is Hussein. Geez. Do you actually have something to contribute to the discussion, or are you just looking to be provocative?

I can see why they'd be unhappy about their situation--but they come off looking like *******s by targeting a kid whose doing a bloody community service project.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I do and I did. I reacted a serious omission in the OP. Either present the whole truth or don't present anything. Half truths and omissions for the purpose of pointing fingers doesn't fly with me or many other people here.

We agree in this. I never said otherwise.

8. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Looking back, I think we're on the same page. I was automatically assuming your comments were directed at me specifically. My mistake ;)
    I blame my lack of coffee intake as of yet this AM.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No problem- here's a kissy. :) All better? :D

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I hope some more volunteers go and clean up the rest of the streets. Maybe if people weren't such pigs.

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Things like this make me go :confused:

If they are going to let it slide, then why the heck did they bring it up? Overreaction if I ever did see one...