Unique iPhone Dilemma - What to do with a new contract iPhone 6 that I don't need

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amphibious, Nov 21, 2014.

1. amphibious macrumors member

I was one of many that preordered the iPhone 6 immediately when it became available. I re-upped my contract with AT&T in the process... and then two months later I got the job offer of a lifetime.

This job comes with an iPhone 6 on my company's unlimited plan, that is allowed to be used for personal purposes. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to transfer my number or device to the corporate plan.

So... now I have two iPhone 6s in my left front pocket. I'd really like to get this community's thoughts on what I should do.

Reasons to get rid of the phone:
    • It would save me $1032/year in phone bills, $86/month.
    • It would make my left front pocket look less silly.
    • Potential resale value may be quite high at the moment.

Reasons to keep the phone:
    • I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan.
    • Maximum Early Termination Fee.
    • Completely firewall personal and business uses. (My company doesn't track usage at all, but better to err on the side of caution, right?)
    • I've had this number for nearly 10 years. (this ranks pretty low on my reasons to keep)

Ideally, I would like to find a way to keep the phone at a reduced price, like figure out how to get a text/data only plan for it, or one with minuscule voice minutes. I've searched around for text/data only plans and haven't found a whole lot that are compatible with this device. I'd totally be open to paying the ETF, selling my phone, and then buying a Sprint phone to get on Freedom Pop or Virgin Mobile USA.

Thoughts?

2. bassett700 macrumors member

bassett700

Surely you could sell the phone and recoup the original purchase price and ETF. Which IPhone 6 did you buy (16gb, 64gb, etc)? What is your ETF?

Why not port your number to Google Voice? You can either park it there or simply keep using it. People you have known for years will call you on that number and it will ring to your new work phone (if you set it up that way, of course). You can also install the Google Voice app on the work phone to receive texts sent your personal number.

3. upbraid macrumors member

if you are ok with subletting your plan you can actually make a bit of money, you can also sell the phone in that case as well.

4. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

I think it's best to keep business and personal separate so I'd keep the personal phone.

5. meistervu macrumors 65816

And carry both?

6. AronDraws macrumors regular

AronDraws

Ditto this. My job comes with a company-issue iPhone (just got upgraded from a 5 to a 6 yesterday) and while I could really find the extra $47 in my pocket per month to be helpful for stuff like art supplies if I cancelled my personal phone, I could not imagine having my company phone be my personal one.

Im just bummed that my personal phone (iPhone 5) doesn't have the touchID :/

----------

I do it all the time in my small purses. Both the 5 and the 6 are small and light. I can even fit a Nintendo 3DS in there as well! :D

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Carry both, that way you have your regular phone and your "bat" phone to get you out of sticky situations ;)

8. amphibious thread starter macrumors member

If I were going to keep the phone is there any hope of getting a less expensive data/text only plan?

----------

64GB space grey. ETF would be approximately $300.

Swapping to Google Voice would be fine for phone calls and text, but I believe it can only receive MMS from Sprint Phones.

9. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Keep both. What if, for some reason, you are not with this company after a couple of months? You've had your personal number for 10 years. Imagine how many people you'd have to update if they need to contact you at a new number. If you don't mind losing the unlimited internet, switch that number into a dumb phone with no internet. That way, you will pay less every month and retain your number.

10. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

11. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Sell the UDP on eBay through a AOL, sell iPhone 6, enjoy your companies iPhone.

12. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I agree with contacting AT&T about options, and I would keep a personal phone and number. Even dream jobs sometimes go sideways, things like company subsidized phone benefits get cut in budgets, and some stuff should never be discussed on company property...or stored on a phone they legally can access without your permission or knowledge.

All that said, I'd probably opt to sell the new iPhone 6, pay off the ETF, pick up something less expensive for off hours use, and move to a much cheaper plan--which AT&T might not be able to offer you. I cut my own bill in half by leaving AT&T and porting my number to prepaid with another carrier. Something like that might be a better option of coverage in your area is decent; you won't save as much money as you would by cutting out the personal phone altogether, but you'll have the flexibility of being off contract, while keeping your personal number. TMobile has a $30 plan, Cricket Wireless has a $35 one...it might take some research to find the right one for your location, but something like that could be the best solution.

Congrats on the new job!

13. meistervu macrumors 65816

I can't imagine the burden of carrying 2 phones. I guess I am different from most people. However I do see the point about keeping my personal phone number if that ever happens to me.

14. bassett700 macrumors member

bassett700

No, MMS is now working with other all major carriers in the US.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I agree and I have carried two phones (my company provided an iPhone similar to OP that could be used for personal)

I don't mix work and personal on devices, especially as intimate as a phone