Unique pre-order question. 2 phones, wife out of town

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robertpetry, Jun 14, 2010.

1. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

Hello!

I know everybody has a pre-order question tonight but I'm stumped and need some help from you veterans. I have a couple of unique issues.

1. My wife and I are on Sprint and need to open a new AT&T account with a family plan
    2. My wife will be out of town on the 24th and won't get home until late on the 25th. So if I try to pick up two phones at the store and they want to activate them it will cut off my wife's phone to do the number port.
    3. I want a 32 GB black and she wants a 16 GB white.
    4. I want at least mine as early on the 24th as is reasonable.

We have a Radio Shack and an AT&T store nearby. The Apple store is a bit more of a haul. I checked with RS and ATT and was leaning toward RS for a couple of reasons. 1st, the ATT store told me it was one per family on pre-order. Not cool.

2nd, RS is offering $20 ea. for accessory credits. And 3rd, I am thinking RS will be less of a mad house.

But I spoke with the manager of the local RS tonight and she said a couple of things that are making me think twice. 1st that they are not doing a true "pre-order" and are reserving the phones instead. She said the reserve starts at 1 pm and there is no money down. Finally, she said the phones would be in-store between the 24th and the 27th. That I don't like. And the whole reserve thing sounds iffy to me.

I called the Apple store and they said that I could pre-order with them and then come wait in line to pick them up. But two issues there. He said they didn't expect the wait to be too long for pre-orders as long as I didn't come in the first hour or so. And that they had to activate them immediately so my wife who is traveling would be cut off Sprint.

So my thoughts are that I could order one for in-store pick-up and the other for home delivery. That would avoid the issue with activating both but then I may not be able to start a family plan until I activate hers when she get's back.

Or I could hope RS get's my phone's on the 24th. Or I could order one from Apple and one from RS? Or one from RS and one from ATT?

And also, I am concerned now that RS won't get the white if ATT doesn't (although that is just a rumor).

What do you guys think?

2. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Your wife is out of town and all you can think about are phones.......

lol, jk jk

3. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

It probably depends in whose name the account itself is in. I have a family plan and it is in my name so I do all the phone buying and don't need anyone else. Flip side is no one else in the family can get a phone, or make changes, without me being there.

I read on another thread that if you pre-order online for home delivery on a line being ported from another company that the line would get cut off when the number is re-assigned to AT&T which might be before delivery. I don't know if that is true or not - just repeating what I read on these boards.

4. robertpetry thread starter macrumors 6502

robertpetry

I didn't say that was ALL I can think about but it is one thing I am thinking about.

Sad, but the other is going fishing lol.

5. wsu108 macrumors newbie

If my memory serve my right, since you are opening a new account with ATT, you have 15 days to transfer # from other carries. So you can buy an iPhone for you wife and take it back to ATT store to transfer #.

However, I read the rumors from the front page of Macrumors, ATT says that the white color won't be available at the launch day, so all you can get is black color.