Unique Reasons I'm Left Wanting More

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ixodes, Sep 15, 2012.

1. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Here's a list expressing exactly how I feel:

1. The 4-inch screen is small

Although everyone complained that the iPhone 4S’ 3.5-inch screen was small compared to competitors, the same might soon happen with the iPhone 5. That device’s display comes in at just 4 inches. Sure, it’s better than its predecessor’s screen, but what about the countless 4.3-inch devices on the market? What’s worse, what’s Apple’s answer for the 4.8-inch Samsung Galaxy S III?

2. The design has hardly changed

There is a slightly new design in the iPhone 5, but it’s not a major upgrade. Apple basically made the device thinner, lighter, taller, and changed the back a bit. As Apple’s design guru Jonathan Ive said himself, Apple didn’t want to change the iPhone’s design too much. It shows. And it’s disappointing.

3. Where’s the NFC?

Apple made no mention of near-field communication in its presentation. It’s unfortunate. Near-field communication delivers communication between products, would offer mobile payments and much more. It’s available in countless Android-based devices. Why wouldn’t Apple offer it on the iPhone 5?

4. The 8-megapixel camera isn’t a major update

Apple played catch-up with the rear camera in the iPhone 5. The component comes with an 8-megapixel sensor, some low-light improvements, and a better lens. But who cares? Nokia recently announced the PureView camera in its Lumia 920 and that appears to be superior to the iPhone’s. Even the Galaxy S III’s camera appears to be able to match Apple’s option. Where’s the benefit in your option, Apple?

5. iOS 6 is nice, but not a major upgrade

Apple’s iPhone 5 will ship with iOS 6. For those keeping score, the operating system will launch with over 200 updates, including improvements to the calling screen, better do-not-disturb features, some Mail enhancements, and more. Even so, it’s not a major upgrade over iOS 5. And it’s highly unlikely that it’ll be a major selling point for Apple customers.

6. The new Lightning is annoying

Apple tried to put a good face on its new Lightning port, which replaces the 30-pin connector found in its previous devices. However, it’s a bit annoying. The port requires an accessory to connect the iPhone 5 to existing dock-ready devices, and will force customers to upgrade to new devices sooner than they might like. It’s nice that it’ll sync more quickly, but let’s be honest – Apple is trying to get rid of that, anyway.

7. Quad-core processor? Yawn.

Apple has finally unveiled the A6 quad-core processor. It’s a nice addition to the iPhone 5. But quad-core processors are by no means new. The chips have found their way to a host of Android-based devices, including those from Apple’s biggest competitors. Apple needed to deliver something better, and it didn’t.

8. More storage, please

Was anyone else disappointed that Apple didn’t offer up more storage in the iPhone 5? With video viewing becoming far more popular around the world, it would only make sense for Apple to give users more storage to allow them to keep that content on their devices. Instead, it topped out the iPhone 5 at 64GB.

9. How long will it take developers to catch up?

With a new screen size comes new headaches for Apple’s developer partners. The apps that were built for 3.5-inch screens won’t fit on the 4-inch displays until developers make modifications. That becomes a problem when there are many more 3.5-inch screens out there. Look for apps to look awfully weird after the iPhone 5 launches.

10. Don’t forget the hidden costs

Although the iPhone 5 comes in at the same prices as its predecessor, customers should be aware that there will be hidden costs. Chief among them? The aforementioned adapters for the Lightning port. Wondering how much that will cost? A whopping $29. Now, think of all of the products that need the 30-pin connector, and ask yourself if you want to carry that single adapter to all of them. Upset yet?

http://goo.gl/WL1oU

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Yaawn....

Same tired old nonsense you always spout. Buy an Android and post your love for it somewhere else. You'll be happier. We'll be happier.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

He obviously can't get the new iPhone and is justifying it by listing the reasons :)

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

1. Screen size is personal preference, and I as well as many others apparently, prefer a smaller more manageable size for us. Apple doesn't need to make a big screen to appease people. There are other choices. Make one.

2. The design is great, and I have yet to see another phone that has the same craftsmanship and attention to details. Personal preference again. I don't think they need to change the design just because a minority of people want something "new and OMG different".

3. I and many others currently have no use for NFC. Just because other phones have it, doesn't mean the iPhone has to have it. When it becomes useful, then we can talk about it.

4. Camera is great. It is a phone first but provides and awesome camera to boot. Others may have a slightly better camera. So what? It isn't integrated into the phone I want to use.

5. Seems like a major upgrade to me. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't an upgrade or better. I don't need a bunch of useless features, widgets, themes or other things.

6. There are a number of reasons for the new connector. Just because you don't understand or appreciate them doesn't make them valid. You are annoyed. Duly noted.

7. Was there a better processor option available or are you just complaining to complain? Apple balances power, cost, battery life, etc. to provide the best experience possible. I for one appreciate that.

8. I don't carry a movie collection around. I can sync and view several, and what's the point for carrying everything all the time? The emphasis today is on Cloud storage, not local.

9. Yawn.

5. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Just my 2 cents...

1. I liked the 3.5 inch screen. I had a note and gs3 and thought the screen was too big. I couldn't comfortably use it.

2. Why do they need to change the design? It is already the best looking phone around and sells millions of units each time....

3. Why would the add NFC? I live in the 4th biggest market in the USA and there are zero NFC stores and tags or anything around here. It hasn't caught on and who knows if it even will? Apple has never been someone to add something useless. They will wait and see if it catches on I believe.

4. It is really impossible to fit a much better camera into a phone that thin. Until someone invents a better way to make a small camera... Oh and google the 920 they lied about have the crap and are now backtracking because they used a dslr and said it was a 920

5. I agree with this one. iOS has been basically the same for a long while. I like most of it but it could use a little revamp!

6. I don't really have a problem with this. I believe it is the only way to make it thinner and I like the design more. I also like the reversibility.

7. Again I don't care about specs much. I've given android every change. They were all plagued by crashes and no updates.

8. I think 64 gb is plenty for the average consumer. Basically everyone I know with an iPhone has a 16 gb and doesn't complain. I ordered a 32 gb.

9. I doubt it will take long at all. Besides the old apps will looks fine just letterboxed basically. Trust me even like that they will look better than most apps on any android I've had.

10. $29 is a ripoff. Luckily I won't need one though. My cas uses usb and I use airplay at home.

6. rellimie macrumors member

I know I'm going to get sucked into this void by answering but I'm going to anyways....

1. My brother has an S3. Using it with one hand is impossible. It's huge, too big. It's basically a small tablet. My biggest worry was the iphone was going to become this, I'm glad they understand that a phone is meant to be used with 1 hand...if you want a tablet, buy a tablet.

2. I like the design, why change something that works.

3. Agreed, something I would like. However, NFC is still in it's infancy and Apple is known to wait until a technology is ready.

4. I have yet to see a phone camera better than the iPhone's. My brothers S3 doesn't even produce pictures as nice.

5. iOS works and is not buggy. The icons are easy to use with 1 hand and it's a great functioning OS for a phone. Again, not broke why fix?

6. It's a connector? Why should it annoy you? Even if they went to MicroUSB it would still require an adapter.

7. Why does the processor matter? The device runs smooth with no lag or issues. I don't care what processor is in there as long as it works, works right, and works fast..which it does. My brother's phone has a ridiculous processor. Guess what? Still lags, still jumpy, still needs reset every so often.

8. 128GB would be nice...64GB still enough. To each his own on this though, everyone uses their phone for different ways.

9. How is this Apple's fault. You just complained that the screen is too small and now you are complaining they are changing the screen size.

10. No. Because I know all of those 3rd party manufacturers will be releasing new products over the next 6 months.

You are a very strange bird. In the same posting you complained that they didn't change enough while complaining that they changed period. Odd.

7. Surrylic macrumors regular

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I agree, in fact these are common gripes it seems.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The only thing similar in the design is the metal band around the phone, everything else is different. As for specs, it matches all other high end handsets available now, and it does it with out becoming a phablet, which is awesome.

10. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

I feel the phone is fine, the OS needs an overhaul though.

They don't need to break the current simplicity or usability of it to introduce some long overdue tweaks which are done through jailbreak.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

You've wrote the same insipid nonsense a hundred times over already.

12. armyxrays macrumors member

Complaining about the quad core processor?

Were you expecting a hex-core? An 8 core cell? Seriously man, it's a phone. The A6 is damn nice for a phone.

13. Kyrra macrumors member

Screen size is personal preference. I have a Galaxy Nexus right now (4.5" display) and it's too big for me. I miss my iphone (which is why I ordered an iphone 5).
    NFC is still fairly gimmicky in the US. Some countries have pretty wide NFC payment adoption, but the US is not there yet.
    Lightning is nice just for it being reversible. Something I dislike about USB connectors.

14. RxMac macrumors 6502

Another dumb thread. OP can't upgrade or afford the phone, so trying to justify with self that they don't want it.

15. matttye macrumors 601

Apparently the A6 is a dual core A15. If so, it should fly.

Lightning is kinda pointless. Don't see the benefit myself.

----------

Some people actually don't want it, you know.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

NOTHING unique about this post. Love the way you criticize the camera as playing catchup. I didn't see any photos from an S3 at the Olympics get published worldwide. :confused:

17. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I love how you bash Apple in item 1 for not making a bigger screen and then bash them in item 9 for changing the screen size.

Let's face it, one of the greatest challenges Android developers have are the insane variance in screen sizes and pixel density. It is one of the reasons Android apps are criticized for looking bad and having poor usability.

Apple did a smart thing in controlling the change in screen size. They made the impact on developers as minimal as possible. Face it, Apple does not include functionality because it is available, NFC is the perfect example. The functionality must be usable and relevant. NFC is not relevant in the U.S., not yet anyway.

If you always want something like NFC, buy Android. Just be prepared that the only benefit many of its features have, like NFC, is the right to say you have them. Outside of bragging rights, many of those features aren't good for anything.

18. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

OP, if you haven't notice, we don't care if you don't like it. Apple is selling millions of these, and will continue to do so. Your ranting, and others as well, mean absolutely nothing to Apple nor us, so why post this whining at all. Does it make you feel better ? Is this forum to rant a place for your therapy. Just go, and get some other phone that meets your needs.

Good by :p

19. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

1. Ever tried using a HTC One X or Samsung Galaxy S3 (or even a Note ;) ) with one Hand?

2. The design has hardly changed!!! Yeah, I am happy. I like the design. Why change something nearly perfect?

3. No NFC in 95% of the world, and it's an security issue

4. I guess there is only the Lumia 920 (which has yet to be release [WP8 comes end of October]) that will match the camera.

5. Please tell me more how desperately you want widgets and customization. I was 2 and a half year with Android (Versions 2.2, 2.3, 4.0 and 4.1) and I can't wait to get away from it ...

6. -

7. Quad core is for iMac. If the A6 is really Cortex A15 based it outperforms the A9 quad cores on the market AND saves energy at the same time. I personally can't think of a better processor for a phone.

8. I am with you on this one - some people want more than 68GB so give it to them

9. I am no developer but I guess it can be done in no time. If not, I don't think they would ever haved changed the aspect ratio

10. Yeah you are right. But I think that they increased the price in Europe by 50€ (60-70$) is more of an outrage

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

1. The 4-inch screen is fine by me. I've owned a droid and the larger screen was unwieldy.

2. The design is awesome - they made it even better. Great lines and great design

3. I'm not missing NFC - might have been nice, but I'm not upset about its omission

4. Apple has great cameras in their phones, this continues the tradition

5. I've heard mostly good things about iOS6 so I'm looking forward

6. The plug itself does not annoy me. I give it a meh over changing it

7. People complained that apple didn't use quad core and now that they, they're complaining - go figure

8. 64gb not enough? I went with 32gb and that will be more then enough. There there's icloud

9. Not long, developers are quick to update their apps

10. No different then any other phone

21. matttye macrumors 601

Please enlighten me how it's a security issue. NFC only works when the screen is on and the phone is unlocked on most devices. People wouldn't be able to get your financial details just by tapping your pocket.

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

It amazes me how people want a company to please them and make a product fit perfectly for them. The iPhone is one phone out of hundred of phones available. If the iPhone doesn't suit you then move along and find something that suits you better instead of complaining.

23. leenak macrumors 68020

Those are hardly unique reasons...

I'm not sure why people keep asing for bigger phones. Bigger doesn't mean better.

24. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

You think your reasons are unique? Every fandroid says the same thing here.

25. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Excellent response, couldn't agree more!

They will sell by the boatloads. Some pundits are saying it will be the best selling 'gadget' ever. Apple's usual beautiful combination of style with substance.