Unite toying with strike action at the Olympics

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Feb 29, 2012.

1. niuniu, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    [tl;dr for non Brits: UK labour union considering strike at 2012 Olympics to cause disruption]

Personally I think it would be suicide - it would trigger a campaign to change Union laws I don't doubt. But Len McCluskey is putting it out there anyway.

In a Q&A with the Guardian you can get more specifics. He's looking at what leverage the Union has in terms of buses and things like that which could actually create an impact during the games.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/feb/28/len-mccluskey-unions-london-olympics?newsfeed=true

You can see what Unite are protesting about at their site: http://www.unitetheunion.org/ The NHS reforms the big one at the moment.

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Not having any real back ground information.:confused:

But I would say this would be a very bad idea, the backlash would be terrible. For industrial action to have maximum effect, you mostly need public support. A action that directly effected the running of the games would be counter productive.

3. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Added a link to the Unite website - it has their protest causes. At the moment we have a healthcare bill Bill floating through parliament - and it's desperately unpopular with a section of the British public, and especially with NHS workers.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I hope they do so that people can see what unions are really about these days, extortion. Nothing worse than requiring union labour and not allowing someone willing to do the work to compete for the job.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It infuriates me how short-sighted some of these unions and their supporters are. Showing chaos and civil unrest to the world is not going to bring anything positive to Britain. It also weakens the already shaky understanding people show for unions. They may well shoot themselves [and anyone else in a union] in the foot.

By all means, protest, but don't use the Olympics as your platform.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Does the UK have laws in place where the government can force the workers on go to work or management to educate a lock out due to disruption. For example in the US several strikes and lock outs have been forced to end on at least a temporary bases due to certain effects national.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Hang on a minute RP. How can this display of national patriotism ever be considered an "essential service"?

I agree with holding the Pan-Am Games, and other low key amateur games, but the Olympics is just too much.

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

About time McCluskey even thought about what his members want. I think the VIP lanes are going to be a source of contention as well,taxi drivers et al are already drawing up plans.Personally I wish the "Olympics" would f off.

9. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

After careful consideration I realised I couldn't care for Boris' little back patting session this summer and I couldn't care for Len either.

Oh well.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I hope that you will do like Vancouver did and clear away the homeless as well. It detracts from the the image.

/sarcasm

"Olympics" indeed, what a waste of resources...

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Good points. Of course, every host nation seems to face this same issue in some form - national efforts at presenting a rosy picture to the world lead some groups to counter that image with various forms of public protests during the games. Sometimes they are seen as iconic; other times they backfire.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

My thoughts exactly, striking at this time will only show to the rest of the world we're a completely incompetent country, and that'll help things how?

Undoubtedly if this does go down, laws will definitely be changed to stop it from happening ever again.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

********. It's grandstanding, on a massive scale, and it's totally unnecessary.

14. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Sadly most strikes here seem to be going this way, it's all disruption and no reason, it's this reason that I can't stand all the striking tube staff, they get paid a ridiculously inflated amount, yes their job is hard, but not £45k a year hard...

Unions are great, but just like government, they can get very dictatorial in the way they handle situations, and unfortunately for unions, they just come across as screaming bratty children.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sorry, let me try that one again. ;)

:D

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

OH! Oh yes I couldn't agree more on that front too, the olympic council is a bunch of completely misguided morons who have long lived outside of reality, I'd love to know whether I'll outlive the tax that's brought in to cover the cost of the Olympics. Saying that, I'm spending the rest of my life to emigrating to America, so with any luck, I won't have to care.

EDIT: Fantastic use of "bovine excrement".

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't think the Olympics are a waste of resources. It has brought jobs and development to an area that needed it. I can't imagine in the middle of a recession that this would have happened without the Olympics.

I don't understand all the bitching and moaning about the Olympics, particularly about the financial aspect. It was never going to come on a shoe-string budget and why would anyone with a semblance of foresight want it to? What, so we can show the world how cheap and pathetic we are? Take some goddamn pride and stop being such a defeatist loser about everything. Yes the money could have been spent elsewhere but this is the hand we got dealt. Where is the old British spirit of making the best of things?

18. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

People often confuse what that means.

In Britain it means finding something we dislike and using it as an opportunity to whine about it, over a a drink or cucumber sandwich. :D

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

If I got it right, the Labour party top has also come out against striking during the Olympics.

I was so glad a few years ago when Amsterdam wanted to host the Olympics, and lost the bid.:D