University bans use of 'Mr.' and 'Ms.' in all correspondence.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Feb 8, 2015.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good I completely agree, Mr and Ms are definitely extremely offensive.

It's almost like calling a black man boy.

3. TimelessOne macrumors regular

It is behind a pay wall can someone post the full text.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Whatever.

I can't remember the last time I referred to somebody as Mr. or Mrs. in an email.

And as for prospective students ... it's way too formal.

First name, last name. What more do you need?

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Gender specific pronouns are verbal repression.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

lol.

But seriously, they are simply unnecessary.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yeah, but a good 40% of English is entirely superfluous. Mr. and Mrs. isn't exactly an absolutely necessary part of the language, but I don't see any real reason to get rid of them.

I mean who's been offended by it? Transsexual people maybe, but they're usually fine with a Mr./Ms./Mrs. so long as it aligns with the sex they identify with. Married women perhaps, because some do get slightly offended when you refer to them as Miss, but hardly treat it as the end of the world. Asexual people possibly, either psychologically or physically, but we have plenty of neutral pronouns to refer to them by.

The usage of these words haven't depreciated naturally, so why try to force the issue?

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

I am.
    I am neither man nor woman. I am a god and I wish to be adressed as such.
    Meister / master will do, too ;)

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Tldr: some English is superfluous. Even transsexuals don't care, let alone anyone else.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Nuh uh. Ain't gonna do it.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So, "Mr", then?

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I work in a university marketing department. There is absolutely no way we would ever address our students, and especially prospective students with Mr. or Ms. It's antiquated. It's pretentious. And as the OP's article states, using it only invites problems. We've never addressed students in that way in the 14 years I've been at the university. Looks like CUNY is just trying to catch up with the times.

13. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

But offensive? I don't see that, nor to be forbidden.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I don't think they've become pretentious, they're just not always appropriate to use depending on the circumstances.

In bygone times, it was word reserved for speaking with your equals or elders, so I could see why you'd believe it a little inappropriate, and maybe even a bit smarmy, when used to address your students.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

Discrimination! :mad:
    I will sue you!

16. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

It’s going to be tough an Agent Smith moving forward ...

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Titles and honouriffics are all a bit unnecessary and antiquated. Wouldn't be unhappy to see them gone with the exception of the right context/formal events.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Try it, and I'll countersue. To be addressed as a living god, you have to prove to the state that you've managed to achieve a metaphysical state of absolute perfection in a given craft or field of study. The bar is set pretty high, and it's why we've only given the honor to, like, three people so far.

So yeah, sue, and I'll own you, for I am Blax, Lord of Law.

----------

It's funny. The whole time I've been reading this thread, I've been thinking "MISSSSTTTEEERR ANNDERSOOONN".

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

But I can prove I am a god. I control everyone!
    If I close my eyes, everyone is gone and if I open my eyes they reappear! :cool:

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Every year we have an event where the top alumni, faculty and students are honored with dinner and awards. In each and every case the person is referred to by first name and last name only. When university announces a faculty, staff or student's death, they are referred to by first name and last name only.

If you can think of any other circumstance where Mr. or Ms. is more appropriate than those two examples, I'd love to hear them. The truth is that Mr. and Ms. is a convention that isn't necessary and is distancing and stuffy, especially when it comes to prospective students.

The only time I have see it is in alumni fundraising, where donor databases still contain salutations which can come up in mailing addresses or variable-data-driven greetings.

21. unlinked macrumors 6502a

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

I actually agree with you. I wish they would get rid of this ridicolous practice where I live, but we all know that that ain't gonna happen.
    When you talk to folks here, they constantly repeat Herr ... when they start a sentence.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I can think of a few more. Specifically, situations where you're addressing someone older than you, and aren't familiar enough to refer to them by their first name. If you try going by their first name, you're gonna come across as a little presumptuous, and referring to them solely by their last name seems somewhat derogatory.

Like I'll refer to friends, and people of a similar age by their first name, or their last name without adding a Mr. Or Ms./Mrs. in front of it. But it'd feel strange doing the same for someone in their 60's.