University of Florida will require students to have an iPod or iPhone for certain cla

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphones4evry1, Jul 1, 2009.

1. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Beginning next semester, the University of Florida will require students to have an iPod Touch or iPhone for certain classes that will implement use of the device in the curriculum.
    http://www.iphonealley.com/news/uni...to-have-ipod-touch-iphone-for-med-curriculum?

"The University of Florida is the second school in as many months to announce that students enrolling in one of its curriculums this fall will be required to own either an iPhone or iPod touch"
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article...tys_pharmd_program_to_require_ipod_touch.html

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The pharmacy program people I knew in grad school at UF seemed not too bad. A pharmacy curriculum is probably some place where they can actually use this well. Hopefully it'll be a good experiment and not the typical throwing technology at education without a plan.

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

pretty neat, it's about time they integrated the iPhone in more places :)

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I guess but I hope they make these kids chug through good old fashioned hard work and then use the phone/reference as a tool instead of letting their ability as a pharmacist depend on the current battery level of their phone :D

5. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

That'll be the day. You don't see many engineering students using slide rules ;) :)

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Sounds a bit gimmicky to me and unnecessary. They are probably hoping it makes their school look cool.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree

what a stupid mandatory item to purchase. its not as if college is already expensive to go make people spend an additional 200 bucks on a mp3 player

if this was about the school forcing students to buy zunes, this board would be in an uproar....but since its apple, its cool

8. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

The Texas Tech University SOP has had this also and its pretty awesome. I ended up dropping out of the Pharm.D. program and now my new MD/PhD program is picking it up. Pretty sweet and handy!

9. joro macrumors 68020

joro

That's awesome, I remember when Duke required certain students to have an iPod or similar device to download professor's lectures. From what I understand from some friends who attend Duke they discontinued the program but as someone getting an MBA right now, I think being able to download lectures in invaluable.

10. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

who would go to a school with zunes im mean you pay for college and then they force you to have a zune nah no thanks

11. TechnoPagan macrumors regular

If it's a "required" piece of equipment, students should be able to apply their student/financial aide towards the purchase of the iPhone or iPod.

12. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

No different then when I was in grade school and we had to get scientific calculators for a basic math class.