University of MO President resigns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by brinary001, Nov 9, 2015.

1. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

I'm a student at The University of Missouri (Mizzou), and as many people know we have had an uproar of racist incidents recently on our campus that this man did nothing about. I will not list what they all were because, quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing about them. But if you want to know what they were, a quick internet search will clarify real quick.

I was wondering about people's thoughts on this as well as any stories some might have about being discriminated against or witnessing it firsthand, directly or indirectly. I realize this is a touchy subject, but please be respectful of others and know that hatred of any kind won't be tolerated on this thread. Read the PRSI and general posting guidelines (or use commonsense).

2. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I think it was good that he resigned. I thought he was going to dig in and fight it. But I guess he saw the writing on the wall and stepped down.

3. brinary001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brinary001

I do too. It definitely won't cure racism, but at least it shows we won't tolerate a president who sweeps racist incidents under the rug. Someone without a backbone running multiple major universities is bad on any level, but especially race.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't understand what they're complaining about? What did these SJWs want the president to do about these incidents? It's not like he can prevent them from happening. Drunk fratboys are going to be racist douchebags no matter who the UM president is. Now that they ran him out of town, these protesters are going to start demanding that staff and faculty get hired based on their race, and not their ability to do the job.

The sad thing is, if this guy did deserve to lose his job (and I've yet to see anything that make me think he did), that instead of actual, peaceful protests or walkouts by students and faculty, it took a group of students who probably wouldn't be college material if it wasn't for their ability to take a hit to the head and not sustain a traumatic brain injury in front of large, paying crowds every Saturday refusing to do so to get him to resign.

5. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Pretty weak slippery slope argument. The fact of the matter is that the community collectively decided that they would not tolerate this kind of behavior and the President was obviously unfit to carry out the wishes of the community. Let's not forget who works for who. You may not agree with what the community wanted but it is their decision to make.

6. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

I think the president was an idiot to resign. This reminds me of the '60s when teens were protesting over nothing at the drop of the hat. The university should have held firm and if the football team didn't want to play then they should have forfeited the game. This is so much to do over nothing

7. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

But what was the kind of behavior in which the president engaged? Was it that Mr. Wolfe failed to "acknowledge his white male privilege"? Was it that he/they didn't agree to a hiring quota - an "increases [of] the percentage of black faculty and staff campus-wide to 10%"?

What was Mr. Wolfe's behavior?

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Exactly. I can't figure out what he did or didn't do that pissed everyone off. All I read about are what a few racist *******s did, but nothing I've read yet spells out what Mr. Wolfe did wrong, and I think that's because he didn't do anything wrong. He was just scapegoated by a bunch of pissed off SJWs who wanted to run somebody out of town, but they didn't know who yelled the n-word and who made a swastika out of their own ****, so they went after Wolfe because it was convenient.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I read that one of the protest organizers on campus was furious over the University not commenting on the Ferguson riots 2hrs away. I went to school 2.5hrs away from the city of Chicago, I didn't expect my university to comment on everything that went down in Chicago. If they did we'd never know what the hell was going on on campus. lol

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's funny, because Missouri University of Science and Technology (my alma mater) is 2 hours away from Ferguson too and I don't see students there protesting. Southeast Missouri State is also around 2 hours away. No protests there either. SLU, WashU and UMSL are all within the STL metro area and 30 minutes or less from Ferguson. No protests.

The Mizzou students are pissed off at something completely unrelated to Ferguson and are using it to try to gain sympathy. Seems to have worked unfortunately.

11. Populism, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

12. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

He neglected to publicly condemn the acts of racism as a serious concern. They also accuse him of negligence in promoting a safe atmosphere where every non black student is constantly reminded to not be racists.

On top of that Concerned Student 1950 wanted to force mandatory training and a host of other demands.

http://www.kmbc.com/blob/view/-/363...DF-Concerned-Student-1950-list-of-demands.pdf

13. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

It all came down to money. Mizzou would've owed BYU more than $1 Million if they were to break the contract of their agreed-to meeting in football this Saturday. That's just one game. It would've proved very costly to the university if they were unable to field a football team for the rest of the season. Money talks even if common sense flies out the window.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I feel like a swastika made out of human feces, or a swashitka as I've been calling it, is one of those acts that doesn't need to be specifically condemned, it should be implied that everyone with two brain cells to rub together to form a rational thought would condemn it. I'm pretty sure some KKK members are even like "Yeah, that's pretty messed up".

15. Robisan macrumors 6502

Exactly. It's totally unreasonable to expect the leader of the University to actually, you know, lead. It's not like he has a position that enables him to speak out, act and otherwise shape the climate of the institution.

Also, too, "Whitey just can't catch a break."

16. brinary001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brinary001

@tunerX gets it. I'm not against him personally, like I don't think he is directly racist. But think about it this way: if you overheard something really hateful at your place of work, be it racist or not, I would imagine you'd take it to whomever was in charge and expect them to take care of it. This may include but not be limited to the culprit being fired. That didn't happen in this case like it should have. Wolfe didn't even try to look into it. That promotes a culture on campus that feels like horrible acts are completely permissible.

I hate the overly PC era we live in now where everything is offensive and nothing is funny because it always pisses someone off, but these acts aren't jokes, they weren't trolls, they were just hateful. All he had to do was recognize what happened, give some sappy speech about how we're One Mizzou or something, and then we'd move on. He's bad at politics, and you can't be bad at politics when you have a position like that.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Not these days, no. He did the worst thing you could possibly do on a college campus in these politically charged times: ignored the problem, and hoped it'd go away.

It didn't.

Also, from reading the link to the page from Robisan's link, it seems liberals aren't the only ones playing the victim card these days.

18. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I am not directly racist; So I am indirectly racist?

My only problem with the demands, is that I hate mandatory training and counseling.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

[​IMG]

20. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I don't know much about this issue, but I tend to agree about the 60's mentality. Insofar as the football program, my athletic scholarship at Iowa was renewable each year.

21. A.Goldberg, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Outward acts of racism are bad, but I don't think it's necessarily the right indicator of the acceptance within a community. If a white person is talking to me (also white) privately and makes a racist comment about black people, perhaps it's not as bad because the intention is not there to offend black individuals. That said, it is still indicative that he/she hold racist ideas that can manifest in other ways. These people may not decide to hang a noose from a tree, but they may still silently discriminate.

I don't think they should be striving for "tolerance" in their community, which to me might imply not making blatantly racist actions (drawing swastikas). They should be striving for "acceptance". I don't know how you achieve that, but education and exposure is a good place to start.

This seems like a topic for a differently titled thread. I think in the context of non-adults, racism is just a form of bullying, but I believe primarily influenced by environment (family, community, peers, media). Beyond high school, should be more worldly and not think in black/white thinking. Therefore such actions are completely unacceptable.

I have been the target of plenty of anti semitism and witnessed a lot of racism in my life. I grew up in a 96% Christian 99% white town in Connecticut. It was super elitist, very affluent, and one of the few conservative towns in the state. Despite being <1hr outside of NYC, children (and perhaps adults too) were sheltered to different races, cultures, religions, sexual lifestyles, economic statuses, etc.

In college, there was still a bit anti Semitism. Much of it I believe was related to the whole Palestinian-Israel conflict as it was still a hot topic a few years ago. On a few occasions I've had nasty things said to me from people I don't know in passing (without knowing anything about me and having never expressed any opinions about the topic).. eh hem SJP. I don't wear a yarmulke or dress like a Hasidic, but I do have a Jewish name and the "Jewish look". I am very restrained and cautious in using the antisemitism label, especially around the Palestine-Israel situation and don't necessarily agree with the ADL's "New Anti Semitism". Criticizing Israel's actions or questioning their status as a country is not anti Semitism. Calling someone a "dirty Jew" or "baby killer" is however. But I'd rather not share any specific stories here.

To a point, I see what you're saying. I've seen swastikas in many bathrooms. I think all the bathrooms in my public school had at least one. The administration never did anything about them, no one probably bothered to report them, and the custodians never cleaned them off. When I see that stuff I ignore it. It just shows that there are anti Semitic people, which I am already well aware of (If someone drew one on my door, that might be different).

Putting an effort into catching the individual in my mind is a waste of energy. You catch the guy, he gets kicked out of school, maybe charged with a hate crime, and then he will hate Jews even more. I'd rather see him continue with his education and hopefully learn to accept other people.

Perhaps telling the students "It is bad to draw swastikas with **** on the school's walls" is not necessary, but I think bringing attention to the issue and encouraging people to reflect on their prejudices is beneficial. Not doing anything creates the illusion (or proves?) that that administration does not care. That sends a pretty unwelcoming message to the students affected by this.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Did they ever catch these 2 kids who hurled racial epithets at these black students?

23. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

What would they even do if they identified or caught them. It isn't illegal to be a racist or a bigot. Sure you could shame them over social media, probably give them a reprimand, but no crime was commited.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The school can issue punishments based upon their own criteria. I'd say that a big public apology is in order.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If they're even students. Anyone can walk or drive onto campus.

That's why this whole thing is stupid. These people are upset the university didn't do more to find the perpetrator. They're looking for two people in a city of 100,000+ with perhaps nothing more than a vague description as a clue. Talk about a needle in a haystack.

With sexual assault and other violent crime still a problem on college campuses all over the country, shouldn't the police be spending their time dealing with those crimes? You know, crimes with actual victims?