University of MO President resigns

Renzatic

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
If they're even students. Anyone can walk or drive onto campus.

That's why this whole thing is stupid. These people are upset the university didn't do more to find the perpetrator. They're looking for two people in a city of 100,000+ with perhaps nothing more than a vague description as a clue. Talk about a needle in a haystack.

With sexual assault and other violent crime still a problem on college campuses all over the country, shouldn't the police be spending their time dealing with those crimes? You know, crimes with actual victims?
Under normal circumstances, yeah. Being called a nasty, hateful name isn't quite on the same as being raped or beaten half to death. The best thing to do, unless someone is flat out harassing you over an extended period of time, would be to laugh, and tell them to go **** themselves right to their big idiot faces.

But this has extended far beyond normal circumstances, and all kinds of people are now riled up over it. It's gotten to the point where something has to be done before it potentially gets any worse.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
I'm a student at The University of Missouri (Mizzou), and as many people know we have had an uproar of racist incidents recently on our campus that this man did nothing about. I will not list what they all were because, quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing about them. But if you want to know what they were, a quick internet search will clarify real quick.
THIS IS A TRIGGER WARNING!
PLEASE FIND YOUR SAFE SPACE!

An "uproar of racist incidents"? Incidents like the one in 2010 in which "two white students scattered cotton balls on the lawn of the campus’ black culture center in what black students saw as a racist attack"?

A racist attack? Seriously?

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Under normal circumstances, yeah. Being called a nasty, hateful name isn't quite on the same as being raped or beaten half to death. The best thing to do, unless someone is flat out harassing you over an extended period of time, would be to laugh, and tell them to go **** themselves right to their big idiot faces.

But this has extended far beyond normal circumstances, and all kinds of people are now riled up over it. It's gotten to the point where something has to be done before it potentially gets any worse.
Examples, please.

Part of the problem is that so many of these incidents (rapes, racist acts, etc.) turn out to be made up. SJWs are fearful liars.

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009

Lets cancel the first amendment because people's feelings may become hurt.

Your first sentence is alluding to something that is surreal... In reality these are normal circumstances. This is the norm and the 1st amendment is under attack.

If you think that black people are a protected race that should never be offended you have lost any grasp of the concept of freedom of speech. If you watch it you will hear the one guy yell "you are supposed to be our advocate"... sorry buddy he is supposed to be everyone's advocate.

All the guy was trying to do was say yes I understand that you are offended but guess what everyone has the freedom of speech no matter how offensive.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
I read that one of the protest organizers on campus was furious over the University not commenting on the Ferguson riots 2hrs away. I went to school 2.5hrs away from the city of Chicago, I didn't expect my university to comment on everything that went down in Chicago. If they did we'd never know what the hell was going on on campus. lol
So they were upset that he didn't say "The university stands on the side of justice and won't comment on what happened until the investigation is complete"?

The last thing the social justice warriors are interested in is justice.

brinary001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I am not directly racist; So I am indirectly racist?
That was what I was implying, yes. Not you personally, of course. I'm referring to Wolfe. It's kind of like being an accomplice to a murder. You didn't commit it, no, but you in some way helped it go on.

Renzatic

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
>>"this"<<

You said "this has extended far beyond normal circumstances". What "this" are you talking about? A few examples would be helpful.
Jesus...

You know, everything that's going on. Racial slurs being called out, people getting offended, some people going to far, other people getting offended, a university president resigning over it. You know, the subject of the whole damn thread.

No, I'm not saying that we should cancel free speech in order to protect people's feelings. I'm very much against that, siding more with the "there's no such thing as a right to not be offended" group. But this situation has gone on for so long without being addressed, and people are getting so angry on all sides, that it now has to be addressed. It's not one of those things that'll go away if you leave it alone. Leaving it alone is the reason why it's gotten out of hand to begin with.

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009
Jesus...

You know, everything that's going on. Racial slurs being called out, people getting offended, some people going to far, other people getting offended, a university president resigning over it. You know, the subject of the whole damn thread.

No, I'm not saying that we should cancel free speech in order to protect people's feelings. I'm very much against that, siding more with the "there's no such thing as a right to not be offended" group. But this situation has gone on for so long without being addressed, and people are getting so angry on all sides, that it now has to be addressed. It's not one of those things that'll go away if you leave it alone. Leaving it alone is the reason why it's gotten out of hand to begin with.
No need to respond to my post you summed it up here. I understand where you are coming from.

Unless you were trying respond to my post. Then I still understand.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Jesus...

So, someone calls out a racist slur and a university president is responsible? A guy gets shot by police a few hours away and suddenly the university president has to comment on it? (Wasn't it enough that Obama spoke foolishly on the subject that we also had to have Wolfe's uninformed opinion?)

What did he do that was so bad he had to leave?

So then you're not happy Wolfe was forced to resign. You don't like that people who were easily offended got him axed.

Renzatic

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
So, someone calls out a racist slur and a university president is responsible? A guy gets shot by police a few hours away and suddenly the university president has to comment on it? (Wasn't it enough that Obama spoke foolishly on the subject that we also had to have Wolfe's uninformed opinion?)

What did he do that was so bad he had to leave?
I don't know if you're misinterpreting me on purpose, or if you have some really bad reading comprehension skills.

No, it's not the university president's job to comment on a guy getting shot by the police a few hours away. Nor is someone calling someone else a name, no matter how loaded, his sole responsibility.

But he is in a position of leadership, and he does have responsibilities to the school that needs to be heeded. When the student body starts getting angry en masse, it's his job to address them, and try to maintain calm. He took the out of sight, out of mind route until was too late, the problem became far worse, and he eventually had to face the consequences of his inaction. He had to step down not because he's absolutely required to address every single social issue that arises on his campus, but because he didn't do his job.

It's the difference between ignoring two people griping about something, and ignoring 500 people griping about something.

edit: and since it's you I'm talking to, and you tend to take things literally every chance you get if it somehow benefits you, no, I don't think it was actually 500 people griping about something. That's merely an example. But the message remains the same. If it's a couple of people, it's a personal issue. If it's a bunch of people, it's a school issue. And school issues are his to deal with.

sualpine

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Please cite any specific action this guy could have taken that would have assuaged these nutjobs.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Here's a list of the protesters' demands http://m.columbiatribune.com/list-of-demands-from-concerned-student-group/pdf_345ad844-9f05-5479-9b64-e4b362b4e155.html

And a couple I've highlighted:

Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-0 demands.
We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.
Drunk students hurling racial epithets should be disciplined, as well as the people who made the feces swastika, and anyone else involved in similar incidents. I'm just not seeing how any of this warranted the president's resignation. It almost seems like these students are taking advantage of the situation rather than merely getting those wrongs addressed.

Reactions: sualpine

Renzatic

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
Please cite any specific action this guy could have taken that would have assuaged these nutjobs.
Whoever drew the feces swastika should be beaten until the bone shows. Using body waste to draw your hate symbols shows a level of commitment that goes uncomfortably beyond bog standard shock value ***hole behavior.

The others? Public apology, and some form of inconvenient punishment. Like having to spend their weekends for the rest of the year having to work cleaning details around the campus.

If anyone wants anything more, they don't get it. This recent trend of punishment being absolute and life altering is pretty disturbing in and of itself.

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Exactly. It's totally unreasonable to expect the leader of the University to actually, you know, lead. It's not like he has a position that enables him to speak out, act and otherwise shape the climate of the institution.

Also, too, "Whitey just can't catch a break."
Yep, Obama is another great example of a leader. Maybe he should also resign :D.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
I don't know if you're misinterpreting me on purpose, or if you have some really bad reading comprehension skills.

No, it's not the university president's job to comment on a guy getting shot by the police a few hours away. Nor is someone calling someone else a name, no matter how loaded, his sole responsibility.

But he is in a position of leadership, and he does have responsibilities to the school that needs to be heeded. When the student body starts getting angry en masse, it's his job to address them, and try to maintain calm. He took the out of sight, out of mind route until was too late, the problem became far worse, and he eventually had to face the consequences of his inaction. He had to step down not because he's absolutely required to address every single social issue that arises on his campus, but because he didn't do his job.

It's the difference between ignoring two people griping about something, and ignoring 500 people griping about something.
He gave the people griping room to gripe. He didn't call in the national guard to shut them down. He didn't install intrusive surveillance cameras and hire huge numbers of security guards to monitor the students.

In other words, he behaved like a mature adult by avoiding knee-jerk "fixes" that would have made things worse for the students, and maintained student's rights to protest.

In return, the minorities on campus, who only care about exercising power and race mongering, pushed their political agendas and forced Wolfe out.

And you cheered that result.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Yep, Obama is another great example of a leader. Maybe he should also resign :D.
And why is that? Because some morally corrupt political party masquerading as Christians says so? The President of Mizzou needed to resign because he lost the support of the college community as a whole. President Obama, contrary to the what the blowhards on right-wing radio and Fox News have to say, still has the support of the American people who elected him twice.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Whoever drew the feces swastika should be beaten until the bone shows. Using body waste to draw your hate symbols shows a level of commitment that goes uncomfortably beyond bog standard shock value ***hole behavior.
Man, you need to step back and get a grip. Some drunken idiot draws a swastika in feces and in return you want him beaten until the bone shows?

I guess I understand why you're so much in favor of the death penalty.

Oh, by the way, the event in question took place at another school, not Missouri, so there was nothing Wolfe (in all his white privilege) could do except maybe wring his hands and wear sackcloth.

The others? Public apology, and some form of inconvenient punishment.
Students who spread cotton balls in front of Black culture center: kicked out. That was a pretty extreme punishment for a stupid prank, but I guess you would have wanted them beaten until the bones showed first.

Wolfe did the best he could. He let the loudmouths have their say and tried to keep things civilized. The barbs won.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Not sure about this before, but then corroborated on radio, Ben Shapiro wrote that "The Mizzou protest movement got its biggest boost when 30 black members of the football team joined up with the ConcernedStudent1950."

If that's the case, I think it's overwhelming clout utilizing one of the biggest moneymakers and prestige for colleges - football sports - being co-opted as a political football. Look for this virus to spread to other colleges. The president of the college was inconveniently (for him) white. His liberalism made not a whit of difference. He got sacrificed.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
Not sure about this before, but then corroborated on radio, Ben Shapiro wrote that "The Mizzou protest movement got its biggest boost when 30 black members of the football team joined up with the ConcernedStudent1950."

If that's the case, I think it's overwhelming clout utilizing one of the biggest moneymakers and prestige for colleges - football sports - being co-opted as a political football. Look for this virus to spread to other colleges. The president of the college was inconveniently (for him) white. His liberalism made not a whit of difference. He got sacrificed.
Yes, once the football players and coach chimed in his fate was sealed. Too much money coming in.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Elected leaders are periodically subjected to referendum and removal by the people they lead. Majorities supported Obama twice, so #fail.