University of MO President resigns

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
In the run-up to the protest, the activist student body requested the media’s attention.

They had tweeted, “Hey folks, students fighting racism on the MU campus want to get their message into the national media. Who among my friends knows someone who would want a scoop on this incredible topic? The story involves the failure of administrators, a student on day 6 of a hunger strike, and creative, fearless students. If you can help, please let me know!”

Guess what happened after the fact? A media shutdown.

A photographer for media checking out the protests were met with angry students and professors. What is it they were hiding? Sooo vituperative.

Reactions: webbuzz

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
The initial precious snowflake that got offended has been at that "hateful" campus for 7 years. I want to know who the hell is paying for his education but also why he continues to stay at such a "hateful" place. Also, what are his grades?

I hate how much money is concentrated for football. They are big money makers, sure, but the students are usually idiots who rarely ever go to class. When they do, they are barely C students anyway.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
The initial precious snowflake that got offended has been at that "hateful" campus for 7 years. I want to know who the hell is paying for his education but also why he continues to stay at such a "hateful" place. Also, what are his grades?

I hate how much money is concentrated for football. They are big money makers, sure, but the students are usually idiots who rarely ever go to class. When they do, they are barely C students anyway.

Exactly. Brain trusts easily drawn to the dark side.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Whoever drew the feces swastika should be beaten until the bone shows. Using body waste to draw your hate symbols shows a level of commitment that goes uncomfortably beyond bog standard shock value ***hole behavior.

The others? Public apology, and some form of inconvenient punishment. Like having to spend their weekends for the rest of the year having to work cleaning details around the campus.

If anyone wants anything more, they don't get it. This recent trend of punishment being absolute and life altering is pretty disturbing in and of itself.
Nice post.

In the run-up to the protest, the activist student body requested the media’s attention.

They had tweeted, “Hey folks, students fighting racism on the MU campus want to get their message into the national media. Who among my friends knows someone who would want a scoop on this incredible topic? The story involves the failure of administrators, a student on day 6 of a hunger strike, and creative, fearless students. If you can help, please let me know!”

Guess what happened after the fact? A media shutdown.

A photographer for media checking out the protests were met with angry students and professors. What is it they were hiding? Sooo vituperative.
Very proud to see journalism senior Tim Tai explain the First Amendment while still doing his job. And, his followups on Twitter regarding the coverage of his interaction with the student protests are surprisingly wise:

I hope that kid lands a great gig after school.

As for Melissa Click, the communications professor who apparently designed to—as The Atlantic called it "Weaponize safe spaces"—she's in trouble with the Missouri School of Journalism.

From their site:

...The news media have First Amendment rights to cover public events. Tai handled himself professionally and with poise.

Also, for clarification, Assistant Professor Melissa Click, featured in several videos confronting journalists, is not a faculty member in the Missouri School of Journalism.

She is a member of the MU Department of Communication in the College of Arts and Science. In that capacity she holds a courtesy appointment with the School of Journalism. Journalism School faculty members are taking immediate action to review that appointment.
And, that's exactly it. There's no right to privacy in a public sphere and there's no legal right to block, shove or otherwise block a reporter from observing and photographing an event. If people don't want to be photographed or filmed, they need to find a private space.

And, apparently student activists have heard the message. Today, they passed out a "PSA":

1. Media has a 1st Amendment right to occupy the campsite.
2. The Media is important to tell our story and our experiences at Mizzou to the world.
3. Let's welcome them and thank them!

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Here's a list of the protesters' demands http://m.columbiatribune.com/list-of-demands-from-concerned-student-group/pdf_345ad844-9f05-5479-9b64-e4b362b4e155.html

And a couple I've highlighted:

Drunk students hurling racial epithets should be disciplined, as well as the people who made the feces swastika, and anyone else involved in similar incidents. I'm just not seeing how any of this warranted the president's resignation. It almost seems like these students are taking advantage of the situation rather than merely getting those wrongs addressed.
I've had to do mandatory anti-corruption training at work, not sure this is very different.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Taking a look at: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/columbiatribune.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/45/345ad844-9f05-5479-9b64-e4b362b4e155/563fd24f5a949.pdf.pdf

If you met them halfway that wouldn't be a huge deal. You apologise and work to improve the black experience on campus.

And driving into the protestors is pretty bad, as is not criticising the police for overreacting (presuming that's true).

Perfectly possible a lot of the rest of it is political correctness gone mad.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Poor Wolfe got eaten up. Mincemeat.

He might have folded up easier than the Bern did when Bern was confronted with boisterous and loud mouthed Black Lives Matter flotsam.

Demands that the students made upon Tim Wolfe were many.

Wolfe must give a handwritten apology, read it publicly and “acknowledge his white male privilege.”
After his public humiliation, Wolfe had to go.
The group demanded a “mandatory” racial awareness and inclusion curriculum “vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board” composed of “students, staff, and faculty of color.”

In writer Debra Saunders own words:
“In other words, the activists demanded that Mizzou indoctrinate all students with their special brand of racial politics. Their demands present the university not as a haven for an epic battle of ideas but as a steamroller for political conformity.”

Saunders went on:
“CNN’s Jake Tapper asked UM journalism professor Cynthia Frisby what Wolfe had done to become the focus of protest. She answered, “It was the lack of response.”

Not displaying sufficient anguish apparently is all it takes to represent “systematic oppression.” After Wolfe’s resignation, students gathered in the quad and sang “We Shall Overcome.” They think they did something positive, when to the contrary, they trivialized racism.”

This is an outcome related to an older thread on this board: "I'm a liberal professor and my liberal students terrify me."

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/im-a-liberal-professor-and-my-liberal-students-terrify-me.1889311/

Last edited:

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Very proud to see journalism senior Tim Tai explain the First Amendment while still doing his job.
That being said, it's pretty laughable that he has a $1,000+ camera with a huge telephoto lens and insists he must be right up in their faces to do his heroic "documenting for history." Reporters have every right to cover a story, but they should also do their best not to interfere with or become part of the story. Evidently they haven't taught that in his J-school.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Elected leaders are periodically subjected to referendum and removal by the people they lead. Majorities supported Obama twice, so #fail.
A majority of voters, not a majority of eligible voters.

lowendlinux

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014
North Country (way upstate NY)
Kids who do dumb sh*t tend to hurt themselves..

I think that's the tack I'd take on this not kicking the president of the university out, but then again they want him to apologize for being a white male soooo...

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Kids who do dumb sh*t tend to hurt themselves..

I think that's the tack I'd take on this not kicking the president of the university out, but then again they want him to apologize for being a white male soooo...
Forcing him to apologise for being a white male is ridiculous.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
A majority of voters, not a majority of eligible voters.
A distinction without a difference. It changes nothing.

...adding, reelection is a referendum on continuing in or removal from office. Eligible voters opting not to vote removal are essentially consenting to continued leadership.

Reactions: Eraserhead

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Your anti-corruption training is not dissimilar to the list of demands? Or did I misread your post?
My point is that mandatory anti-corruption training seems a bit like mandatory racial sensitivity training or mandatory consent training.

I don't see an issue with the former so what's the issue with the latter?

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
My point is that mandatory anti-corruption training seems a bit like mandatory racial sensitivity training or mandatory consent training.

I don't see an issue with the former so what's the issue with the latter?
I didn't suggest an issue either way.

I was asking if your comment was that the anti-corruption training was not unlike the List of Demands. Still unclear.

If it is similar, I'm curious how well it works when your participants admit to their white privilege.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I didn't suggest an issue either way.

I was asking if your comment was that the anti-corruption training was not unlike the List of Demands. Still unclear.

If it is similar, I'm curious how well it works when your participants admit to their white privilege.
I'm not talking about the whole list just the mandatory training aspect.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
From reading the coverage in the NYTimes it sounds like a lot of this is related to the fact he was cost cutting and eliminating employee benefits.

brinary001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
From reading the coverage in the NYTimes it sounds like a lot of this is related to the fact he was cost cutting and eliminating employee benefits.
That was what started it, yes. He put up no fight whatsoever when state politicians and law makers said they wanted women's health care cut from the graduate student health plan. This all goes back to what I said earlier about him not having a backbone; that's why he should've been removed and it's why he was removed. If you can't lead effectively and stand up for what's right, then you shouldn't have a position like that.