University Of Texas Students To Host 'Catch An Illegal Immigrant Game'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Nov 19, 2013.

1. bradl, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Splitting this one off from the Polar Bear Hunting/Knockout thread.

Would this be the problem of 'white American culture'? I certainly don't think so, as the problem is plain, simple ignorance. But for those who have claimed that the hunting game thread is a problem of black culture, what would the problem here be? Wait, let me guess.. "Hispanic-American/Latino culture problem"... :rolleyes:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...f-texas-slams-catch-an-illegal-immigrant-game

EDIT: The game has been cancelled, citing "safety issues for the volunteers".

BL.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

University of Texas...go figure...

(Apologies to any UT alum readers...easy joke!:eek:)

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Is it "catch" an illegal immigrant or beat the **** out of them?

5. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Yea, Berkley did it back a few years ago but Texas also did it a few months back. I used this event because it is the same group pulling both stunts.

6. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Ahh.. I see. The article I have in the OP mentioned the one at Berkeley, but didn't say anything about one at Texas.

BL.

7. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I think a game of catch the white trash student and take them and dump them in Mexico without id would be a better game.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sounds like they were trying to draw attention to the illegal immigrant problem in the US. I don't see a parallel to targeting a race of people and punching them.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

They're just trying to draw attention to the high unemployment rate amongst young black males.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

There is currently a group of people from Texas on my Facebook page claiming how the downed ACA site is worse than the Iraq war. I'm not surprised at this article at all.

11. malman89 macrumors 68000

I'm a bit, but not terribly. Austin is a fairly liberal place (for Texas), a diverse campus, and UT-Austin is a fantastic school. But at the end of the day you just remember there's still stupid people everywhere and just shake your head.

P.S. Austin as a whole, I still love you and plan on visiting again soon.

12. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

[​IMG]

13. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Really? Really?

Seeing that their biggest illegal immigrant problem, and the same problem that plagues New Mexico, Arizona, and California, is the same one that plagues Texas, and is geared at a different RACE, and you don't see a problem.

Your true colors and character really are showing through your posts today.

BL.

14. astrorider macrumors 6502

It's only justifiable to be against illegal activities if the demographics of those committing the crime is equally distributed amongst all races? Otherwise, it's "see you're racist!"

15. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Really? And what crime is being committed if you don't know nor are in any authority to know if someone is here legally or not? You aren't in any position to know, just like those students aren't in any position to know. And to trivialize it into a 'game' like what they were planning is very tacky.

You want to have a dialog about it? do it in a professional manner that will gain you the respect your dialog requires. Otherwise, it sounds tacky and tactless, and warrants the backlash it deserves.

BL.

16. astrorider macrumors 6502

Did you even read the article you posted? It says members of this conservative club wore a badge that said "illegal immigrant". That should make it pretty easy to know I would think.

17. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

you don't get it.

When taking this "game" to the real world, you, nor anyone in that club are in any position to know who is legal, illegal, or otherwise. If they were to play "catch an illegal immigrant" with someone who crosses that border, how are they to know if they are there, legally or illegally? They are in no position or authority to question that person.

They forget that their ancestors came to this country illegally as well, so unless they can prove lineage back to an Indian tribe in this country, they really can't talk.

For the record: I read every article I post; not that I need to justify that to you.

BL.

18. astrorider macrumors 6502

Strawman. There's nothing in the article about taking this game to the real world, and no one in this thread has suggested this. In short, is it your position that anyone against illegal immigration is anti-immigrant, or worse, racist?

19. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

If I meant it, I would have posted saying so. I haven't, so I don't.

My point here is that this game was clearly targeted at races outside of those in this conservative club. People here, especially in the thread I linked to were quick to blame other races for the problem, but so far have yet to blame the races here for this issue. If all is fair game, why the crickets when those tables are turned?

Could it be… hypocrisy?

BL.

20. astrorider macrumors 6502

I don't see a game intended to bring attention to illegal immigration as "clearly targeted at" particular races. I think if concluding people are racist and hypocritical requires these kinds of leaps, you should question that conclusion. I haven't read the other thread but on the face of it, it doesn't make much sense to start another thread to prove your point if it was obvious from the first. But thanks for clarifying your position.

21. Scepticalscribe, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

If the intention was simply to 'try to draw attention' to something they perceive as a problem, why not write an article, put out a special edition of a student publication or a student society publication, or hold a debate, discussion, or public meeting about it? That's what we did when I was an undergrad and we wished 'to try to draw attention' to a particular issue.

Or we held a protest march. We never attempted to highlight a problem, or issue, by arranging a mock hunt and calling it a game.

I think the right wingers - or, conservatives, if you prefer - are being more than a little disingenuous here. This is a horrible and ghastly idea, cloaked in a disgusting and disgraceful - and disingenuous - vocabulary.

Given the horrible history of the US on race relations, to pretend to discuss the issue of immigration - by adorning the supposed discussion with a vague veneer of respectability by focussing on the illegality of certain types of immigration -and using an innocuous word - 'game' in this context, - thus, giving the impression that this is nothing more than a playful activity, an outburst of irrepressible student high spirits - when it is, in reality, a repellant expression of very nasty and doubtless deeply embedded attitudes - is deeply disingenuous.

Moreover, it is actually worse than that, and pretends to a historical ignorance which is inexcusable.

The word 'game', combined with the verb 'hunt', in such a context, when applied to those who are the intended target of such irrepressible high spirits must evoke images and thoughts, not to mention dark memories, which I am sure are carved in the folk memory bank of those whose ancestors either experienced such things, or knew them, or knew of others who did, and here, to spell out the point, I am referring to African-Americans, those whose ancestors were enslaved in a part of the United States..

Indeed, for those political and historical illiterates (and doubtless, closet racists) who came up with this cretinous - profoundly insulting and grossly offensive - idea, I ask that they just try to imagine two things. Firstly, imagine the response of those for whom the notion of hunting escaping black slaves down with dogs, and jeers, and was an activity carried out by them, to this; imagine how those who did this pretending that it is a 'game', as though the dog was a beagle hunting a downed game bird, but with the added (hidden) frisson of hunting a human being whose humanity is denied (in law and in life) but whose appalled, shocked and traumatised reaction to being hunted - like an animal, or bird - in such a way cannot but reinforce their essential humanity - because, if the 'hunted' escapee was not actually a person, the hunt would not nearly be quite so exciting.

And secondly, bear in mind, not just that this happened to unjustly enslaved human beings, whose rights at every level were grossly violated, but that this very combination of words ('game' 'hunt' and 'people', both hunting and hunted) evokes - must evoke - a frisson of appalled horror that anyone should dream up such an idea or carry out such an action, today, among their descendants, or, indeed, among anyone who cares about such things. But that, of course, may well be the whole point of such an action.

This is a disgusting and disgraceful action, and those who have actively participated, aided and abetted in such activities should feel thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I guess if I were a student there, I would get my friends to go around and catch the "illegals", steal their tags from them, for disposal, and send them on their way.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

University of Texas alumni compete for the same jobs after all.

24. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Anyone who is *really* against illegal immigration would be hammering on businesses to NOT HIRE ILLEGALS, as jobs as the entire reason they're here.

If you're targeting the illegals immigrants (symptom) instead of the cause (businesses hiring illegals to pay sub-standard wages, depress legal wages, pay no benefits or unemployment insurance), then yes, I'd say you're anti-immigrant.