University student suspended for grading ex girlfriends breakup letter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by unlinked, Jul 20, 2017.

1. unlinked macrumors 6502a

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Oh boy, my alma mater really screwed that up.

3. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

The ex reported this as cyber bullying. Thoughjs?

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I don't see how it's any different from any other Grammar Nazi. They're fighting the good fight against Errorist everywhere.:D Mr. Lutz should be applauded for his efforts. I applaud you good sir.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

he shouldn't have tweeted it. But maybe Ross should have taken this approach vs saying they were on a break

7. unlinked thread starter macrumors 6502a

You mean universities shouldn't have a parallel system of justice for things that aren't actually crimes?

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, there might be a copyright issue here, but indeed this does make the University look silly. I'm an academic and the last thing I'd want to do is play referee as people break up. It's hard enough dealing with the student-welfare fallout from breakups.

9. Thomas Veil, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Without knowing the details (that she doesn't provide), she does comes across as confused. And I found myself pretty much agreeing with his assessment of her writing.

Nevertheless, sending her a critique like that is just being a big jerk...sharing it online even more so. Is it cyber bullying? Maybe. Yeah, there's his right to free speech, but that's a really sorry excuse for posting someone's heartfelt feelings online without their permission, and then mocking them.

Don't expect me to cry for this guy.

10. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Sharing it online is a dick move. But that's none of the University's business.

Colleges just keep creating more and more open lanes for the future success of alternative secondary education.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This. I'm too old to understand the 20-somethings of this Generation - but iron-clad rule: The Internet is Forever.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't see how really it's cyber bullying. He hasn't posted pictures of her naked, nor has he posted all their previous communication or anything like that. And the letter doesn't really go into that many personal details.

Dickhead. Sure. But breakups suck.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It depends, was any identifying information published? If so, then yeah that's bad.

14. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

I'm looking forward to the grading of her apology letter for filing charges against him. Hopefully she can do better than D-.

15. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

We don't know what really happened.
    It might well be that she humiliated him and his move was a reaction/answer.
    People tend to behave weird after break up.
    What concerns the "University side of the story". Personal life of students is none of the institutions' business.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If you read the letter she says she never cheated on him. This part was flagged and "corrected" in red ink.

That told me he thought she was lying to him .

All in all to this old guy it's just 2 silly kids breaking up.

Life will go on for these two.

17. Ulenspiegel, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I have read the letter. That is why I said we didn't know what really happened and how.
    If we did, it could explain the motive of the twitterer.
    Life always goes on no matter what. ;)

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

another day, another haiku

asocial media
    hardening shattered children
    exploring failure

19. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

she was quite snowflakey
    republican crybaby
    for sure

20. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Only for things that actually affect the university.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What about if he'd posted pictures of his girlfriend naked on twitter? And the police took no notice?

22. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

What galls me just how immature these kids are in this 21st century. With actions like these, both the boys and the girl that cannot spell as a high school student, no wonder they graduate with thousands in loans then live with their parents.
    Me personally, when I left home I was 22. A little older than some I'm sure, but I have never gone back looking for a place to live.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

He posted it on Twitter for all the world to see. The university is part of the world. So I think it does concern the university.

Ideally, people should learn that posting private stuff like this on public sites is not okay before they get to college, but since this guy didn't, and part of a university's role is educating young people, I think the university is well within their rights to discipline him. Maybe suspension is a bit too harsh, but if this were high school, I'd say a semester of detention plus no extra curricular activities. I don't know what the equivalent of detention will be at college.

24. Populism, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

So because two people are at the same school - or perhaps same work place, or same subdivision with property covenants - the larger entity is somehow thrust into a lovers quarrel, with the ability to pass judgment and wield justice?

Asinine.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The "lovers quarrel" part isn't relevant. If say, two employees of the same company got involved in a bar fight outside work, do you really think there would be no consequences for them at work?