Unjailbreaking iPhone 4S 5.0.1 9A405

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by philipandrews, Mar 7, 2012.

1. philipandrews macrumors member

I jailbroke my iPhone a month or so ago using the application Absinthe. Everything has been fine with it. But I have found that I do not use all the features that much and would like to go back to the original iOS and update to 5.1.

I first tried letting the update happen automatically but it always ended telling me that my iPhone is not eligible for the update which is clearly wrong.

I then tried putting it in DFU mode and option clicking restore and installing 5.0.1 IPSW i downloaded off the internet. That gave me the 1600 error.

I even tried erasing and restoring from factory settings on the iPhone but it would go black then the rotating loading icon would sit there and not go away until I held the home and sleep buttons to turn it back on. I am not sure what other options I have in this situation.

My last resort is to smash it and go and pay $50 bucks to get a new one from the apple store with my applecare+. If anyone has seen this or can help I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Put it into DFU mode and click restore in iTunes. This will update it to iOS 5.1.

3. philipandrews thread starter macrumors member

I just tried that and I received and error that said:

"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

Any ideas?

4. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

male sure you have the latest itunes and your pointing towards apple servers

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Check your hosts file for listings that read gs.apple.com and remove them. Use Google to find out how. The restart your computer and try again. Also make sure you are using an iOS 5.1 IPSW, not 5.0.1.

6. philipandrews thread starter macrumors member

I deleted the gs.apple.com host file and tried the do the update again to no avail. Still will not let me update or restore.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Did you restart your machine after removing that listing? Which IPSW are you attempting to use?

8. philipandrews thread starter macrumors member

I am just trying to restore and update directly from apple. And I did restart my machine.

9. philipandrews thread starter macrumors member

Ok I downloaded the iOS 5.1 IPSW and did the restore and it gave me the same error that my device was not eligible for the update. It has to be because of cydia on my phone correct?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It should still restore no matter what is on your phone. Check again that the gs.apple.com lines are removed from your hosts file and if you can, try another computer.

11. macrobat macrumors regular

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It could be that Apple's servers are getting overwhelmed.

13. macrobat macrumors regular

14. jephersun macrumors member