Unknowingly Upgraded Firmware to 5.12.01 am I SOL to unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mashinhead, Jun 26, 2010.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

So I had a 3gs running 3.1.2 that was jailbroken for sometime. I didn't even upgrade to 3.1.3. I wiped the phone when i got my new one and the only restore option was for 3.1.3 but I was unaware that it updates the bootloader too, does this mean jailbreaking is total non option at this point. There is no way to downgrade that?

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Was it an untethered JB? Are you wanting to JB and unlock or just JB? All current BB are unlockable.

3. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

yes it was untethered. I want to jailbreak and unlock or at the very least unlock a 3gs

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Well you have a couple of choices. You can force a downgrade to 3.1.2 if you have your SHSH's on file, jailbreak with redsn0w. From there you can pwn it to iOS 4 and unlock it ultrasn0w. Or you could udgrade to 3.1.3 and Jb with spirit then unlock with ultrasn0w.

5. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Whats an SHSH and where would i find that? Also is there a tutorial you can send me too for option 2? Thanks much appreciated. and that will work even though the firmware is 5.12.1

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

If you ever click the button at the top of cydia that said "Make my life easier" while you where on 3.1.2 then your SHSH is on file. Not sure there is a guide to force an upgrade to 3.1.3 because it's not the favored option. My advise would be to downgrade to 3.1.2 and JB with redsn0w. And train upgrade to iOS 4. And again ALL basebands (not firmware) are unlockable from 3.0 up. So yes baseband 5.12.1 is unlockable.

A lot of useful information can be found thanks to thelatinist here.

7. The General macrumors 601

8. The LPT macrumors regular

I prematurely upgraded to official 4.0 when it came out as well. I couldn't figure out how to downgrade.

I had a 16gb 3gs on 3.1.2 with old boot rom that was upgraded to 4.0 official. I kept getting errors trying to downgrade to official 3.1.2 even though I had my shsh saved on saurik's server. I couldn't even restore to a custom 4.0. After a lot of different method's i finally found one that worked.

Modified the hosts file to point to Saurik's server.
    Boot phone in DFU mode.

1) shift + restore to official 3.1.2 ---> it will error out (1015) Keep phone plugged in. It will go to restore mode

2) shift + restore to official 3.1.2 again. ---> it will error out again (1015) Keep phone plugged in.

3) Run redsn0w 9.4 select official 3.1.2 firmware to patch. Select only "install cydia" in the options. Let redsn0w run. You won't have to put the phone in recovery mode since it will already be in it. After it loads on the phone. It will seem like it freezes at the pinapple logo. I think it will say something like "installing activation bundles" Let it sit and load for a while till the phone boots up into recovery mode again. Close redsn0w.

4) load up itunes and shift + restore to a custom 4.0 i made with sn0wbreeze 1.61 and it loaded it up fine. Much to my surprise