Unknown divice in AirPort menu

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
When I click on the AirPort icon, under devices, I see "print server 65576F."

Where is this coming from? Is AirPort picking up this server from somewhere else? And, should I be concerned about security?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Where are you clicking the AirPort icon? On the Menu Bar? No, you don't need to worry about security. It most likely represents a print server on the network you're connected to, or have connected to in the past.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Where are you clicking the AirPort icon? On the Menu Bar? No, you don't need to worry about security. It most likely represents a print server on the network you're connected to, or have connected to in the past.
Yes, that's where I'm clicking. I never saw it. How do I remove it or block t?

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
The menu bar Airport drop-down shows all broadcast networks that your Mac can see. Unless you're in the middle of nowhere, it's quite common to see other nearby networks in the list--sometimes a lot of them.

It's not a security issue, it just means someone nearby has a network named "print server 65576F"--probably a wireless printer in a nearby house or apartment left on the default configuration.

I can see between 2 and 4 other networks from my house, and up to six visible at my workplace.