Unlimited Data / 4G LTE question (AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karsal, Sep 6, 2012.

1. karsal macrumors member

I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan with AT&T - since the iPhone 5 will have 4G/LTE, anyone know if the unlimited data will still aply?

2. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

It will... AT&T is not forcing you to buy the phone outright like Verizon is

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I have a question about this too. We get throttled after 5gb right? Anyone know what throttled LTE speeds are like?

5. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Ya, the bump from throttled at 3gb on 3g to throttled at 5gb for LTE is gonna be great.

If throttled LTE is more like 3G then we'll be in business.

6. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Thats a good question

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's how it is right now.
    So we get a bump from 3G throttled to 5GB LTE throttled now.
    Not bad. Not sure how fast throttled LTE is. Maybe the same as throttled 3G?

8. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Either way, it's at the discretion of AT&T whether to throttle you in the first place.

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

nah its throttle like the 3g.. 300 kbps :( .3mbs my brother has an Android LTE device with unlimited
    and i hope ATT keeps the cap at 5 gb.. knowing how they do business itll be 3gb soon. "with the increase of LTE devices using more data, the CEO is loosing more sleep blah blah blah lies lies lies"

10. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Wait so Verizon will now make me but the phone at full cost to keep my unlimited data? After looking I only use about 1gb of data on 3G each month...if I keep everything the same will 2gb on 4G LTE be good for me since it consumes data at a faster rate?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    You wont be able to keep your unlimited data if you upgrade subsidized.
    If you buy it full price you will.
    Your choice, check out your past usage and figure out what you use and need.

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yeah - Verizon is forcing you to get on one of the new tiered plans if you use an upgrade subsidy...one of the new shared plans I believe. AT&T (at least for the current 5 minutes) isn't forcing you to switch to a shared plan or lose unlimited data.

As far as what you should get. Keep in mind - unless you do something differently, you'll use the same amount of data on LTE as you do on 3G. That said, maybe you'll start doing things you didn't have patience to do before. Since you don't have to worry about dropping unlimited again, you can always up your limit later no problem.

13. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Yes, you have to pay full price to keep Unlimited Data with VZW.

You won't use data any faster because of LTE... Just because it downloads faster, doesn't mean it is using anymore data.

A 5 MB song that takes several minutes to download on 3G is still only 5 MB when you download it in 20 or 30 seconds using LTE.

The only thing that might happen is that since you are able to load pages and videos so much faster, you may be more willing to use your phone more often because you have a fast connection.

14. jetlagged macrumors 6502

i have a question because i dont really know how the data plans work between 3g and 4G LTE.

when i bought my first smartphone, a droid incredible in May 2010 with Verizon, I was able to sign up for unlimited data. i bought the iphone 4 which is what i have now on ebay about this time last year. The plan is to buy the iphone 5 at full price to keep unlimited data with Verizon.

my question is, will that unlimited data plan that i signed up still apply for the 4G/LTE network or does that only apply to 3G network?

15. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

The only way they'll allow you to keep unlimited data on Verizon is by buying the undiscounted iPhone 5 price. At least, that's what I'm reading on the forums. They won't upgrade you without forcing a new plan on you.