Unlimited Data and 4G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Walter Bell, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Walter Bell macrumors regular

I wonder what's going to happen to those of us with unlimited data when 4G comes out. Forced to change to a tiered plan? Unlimited 4g w/ throttling? I have no doubt in my mind that AT&T will come up with some way to finally do away with unlimited data once 4G comes out.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It already has come out, and they are grandfathering that too.

3. Walter Bell thread starter macrumors regular

But do you think iPhone users will be allowed to keep their unlimited? Once however millions if people hop on the 4g network, things may change.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Perhaps they will. Currently, I have no reason to believe that though seeing as how if they wanted to, they could have started the restriction by now. But, anything is possible I suppose.

EDIT: I guess the point of my response is that there is currently more evidence that they will not stop the unlimited plan alltogether than there is that they will.

5. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

EDIT: AT&T is grandfathering people into unlimited LTE plans.

AT&T is bound to only have a few X00,000 number of unlimited users left and on a network with over 80-90 million subscribers that is nothing to freight about. Another note is the carriers are probably wanting the data hogs to migrate over to the faster data services. The faster they can load your media to your device the faster you stop clogging up the towers. If a Youtube video that is 60Mb in file size can be transfered to your phone in a few seconds rather then several minutes the towers will be able to operate more devices at the same time.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im wondering the same.
    I wouldnt be surprised if AT&T pulls another fast one like they did with text messaging when iMessage came out.
    You either have unlimited texts now or nothing at 20cents per text.
    Nonsense...

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Thats what Telecom has done here in NZ. You used to have a 150 text plan, a 300 text plan, a 600 text plan and a 2500 text plan. Then they dumped all the plans except the 2500 one, so all the people using the smaller plans would have to pay for 2500 texts even though they don't need them.

Its a little better for smartphone users now, because they have special smartphone packages. I've managed to get 1000 texts with them as part of a package, which is much better.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Glad to see AT&T and Verizon are not the only greedy wireless carriers:D
    Its pretty messed up, they're giving you less options and charge you more now. And they can get away with it.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Pretty much all phone companies are... Wasn't too easy to get my current plan either. Had to ring up and negotiate with them :rolleyes:

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why do you think there will be a change? Data is data. There were no "3G data plans" when 3G was new either.

11. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

True, but they also offered Unlimited plans back then, whereas now they've long stopped offering them and are actively trying to get people off of the ones they have via throttling.

12. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

They are throttling unlimited users on 4g right now. Its on the android forums, once a LTE user hits around 2 gigs or so depending on the area they throttle them down to Edge speeds. But since android devices give you access to the APN settings they are just changeing from the LTE APN to the 3g "phone APN then they can get 3g speeds atleast until the next month when they change the APN back until they get throttled again.

thats why I fired ATT, you can do 2gigs on LTE in a few minutes. Verizon does not throttle LTE users because they have invested in their backhaul, unlike ATT who thinks its better to punish customers and give the CEO a huge chekc than to invest in the backhaul to keep up with demand.

13. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

I really hope they keep it unlimited on 4g. It seems like cellular data is making reverse progress. When we got internet in the beginning AOL was charging us by the minute, and then as the infrastructure was built out it became cheaper, and eventually unlimited. Why is it the other way around for cellular data?

14. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Because DeLavega needs a new Bugatti, his 2011 has a hundred miles on it now so he wants a new one.

15. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Bingo...

Every carrier will be doing this in due time. They make the rules and can change them to whatever they want since they own the network. The only reason we still have unlimited as we speak is because they allowed us to keep it so far (while introducing throttling).

16. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

It would be great if we who have unlimited plans get grandfathered into an unlimited 4G plan. But I'm more concerned with 4G coverage in my location when/if the 4G iPhone comes out. My 4G LTE mifi with Verizon coverage isn't consistent in San Diego. 4G LTE is great when I'm connected, but when I drive to a location, and decides to switch to 3G... the lag time to switch from 4G to 3G (or the other way around) really sucks. It's faster to just reboot my 4G LTE device, then wait for it to switch and connect. I hope AT&T does a better job on 4G coverage... and lag time to switch between 4G and 3G.

17. cynics macrumors G3

The switch over is a pain but it's better with some devices then others. Verizon will eventually be all and only 4g. That will fix that pesky switch over problem.

By then hopefully apple will have a good low power LTE radio. Until then I doubt we will be seeing an LTE device from apple for Verizon unless they have some sort of hardware break through. They are right not liking the current tech. Its somewhat power hungry and the switch between networks can be annoying.