Unlimited Data Lost forever?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Namji, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Hi,

I know there are lots of talks about how people are trying to avoid losing there unlimited data whilst trying to purchase the iphone at a affordable price.

My question is: Do you guys think the carriers will eventually force us consumers that still have unlimited data out of the plan and into a tiered data plan? I mean, people right now are scrambling to figure out how to avoid losing their unlimited data plan and at the same time avoid paying full retail by adding a line etc. and in a few months time do you think the carriers will stop the unlimited data plant all together?

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

A few months? Dunno. At some point in the future? Sure.

3. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

They certainly have the right to stop unlimited. If nowhere else, then when you enter into a new contract for a new phone.

4. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

Hmmm.. so, I'm wondering how many percentage of people who are pre-ordering the IP5 are voluntarily giving up their unlimited data plan..

5. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Is this just verizon or is att doing this as well for existing grandfathered unlimited data?

6. dubels macrumors 6502

AT&T will grandfather in old unlimited data plans but the new catch is after 5gb they will throttle for the rest of the month.

7. BrandonJay21 macrumors member

Isn't that an improvement? I think they throttle at 3gb now.

8. madsci954 macrumors 68030

They could end unlimited period and force everyone on tiered plans, but I really don't see that happening.

Instead, they'll try entice people with offers, like the Facetime over 3G, mobile hot spot, or if you want to keep unlimited, you have to pay full price for the phone.

9. phillypharm macrumors regular

unfortunately i will be one of those. i use about 4gb/mo so i'll be changing to the 5gb plan for $20 more. ($16 more after my discount). so it's cheaper than buying full retail over the course of 2 years by about $270

10. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

Right.. and if you went the other route you are not guaranteed unlimited data for the next two years...

I'm debating if I should give up my unlimited data or not.. or just pay $700 for 32 gb IP5....

11. webworks415 macrumors 6502

I think unlimited will eventually go away....they will slowly start to throttle though. (Verizon)

I don't want to jump into a limited data plan on 4G without knowing how much data I will use. So I would rather pay full price for the phone and see how it goes.

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Are you on AT&T?

From what I have read (which may or may not be accurate) you will be able to keep your unlimited data. Also, the throttling will not begin until you hit 5gb (up from 3). If you use 4gb a month, you would not be throttled, for now.

If you are with Verizon, disregard :)

13. phillypharm macrumors regular

yeah on verizon unfortunately..

i've had the thunderbolt since launch so i'm pretty set at 4gb. however i feel like i read somewhere that the iphone is better in terms of data use than anroid

14. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Companies know what their doing but at this stage in the game... Data is the ONLY selling point in their businesses.

--Remember when companies charged you CRAZY for a good 6,7,800 minutes?

I average 106 minutes of talk time [NOT including mobile to mobile] a month.
    --Remember when companies had "texts" packages and dared to charge you $0.25 for every one you went over?

I average 1000 texts a month. In 2007, 1000 text was $15 a month on Verizon [1000 to send, 1000 to recieve crap they tried]

People need technology and communication NOW, so thats where data comes in play. Companies like Verizon can't GIVE away free minutes, so what they do.. tell you buy a smartphone, but you HAVE to have DATA ($30). lol. Crooks

----------

Android has true push notification so it literally toggled ALL day long [which is possibly why the batteries suck] but the data on an Android was IMMENSE.

I just want 4g on Verizon because at THIS stage in the game... my 3g Verizon Network was like trying to use AOL in 97'.