Unlimited data plans still being grandfathered

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleFan360, Sep 20, 2013.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I noticed when I was ordering the iPhone 5S this morning that the unlimited data plan for $30 I've had for years carried over. Nice to see that.

2. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Who is your carrier? If it's AT&T then that's obvious.

3. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

AT&T will happily throttle you after 3 Gigs just like it does on your last phone! ;)

4. stahscream, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

stahscream macrumors newbie

5. aneftp macrumors 68040

Actually ATT throttles after 5GB these days on LTE. 3GB "soft policy" was changed. So 5GB is the threshold these days with LTE.

6. Kendo macrumors 68000

It is 5GB for LTE. So essentially we are paying $30 for 5GB of service which is worth $50. :D

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I checked at the local ATT store a few days ago and they assured me that my unlimited plan would carryover.

8. tivoboy macrumors 68030

yes

Yes, the GF plans carry over to a new phone, but you have the LTE GF unlimited plan going forward, which does throttle you down to EDGE speeds at 5GB.. I'd like to get a confirmation of that from someone though.

9. Daniel L macrumors 6502

I usually don't go over 2GB a month but I moved to a house that's new construction where I didn't have internet access for a few weeks. I used over 14GB that month and it was never throttled. So that 5GB might even be "soft". Untitled.png

10. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

yeah thats a soft cap. A lot of people have been going over 5GB on the unlimited plan on LTE with no issues.

As much as i miss the unlimited data plan, not having mobile hotspot was a deal breaker for me. (no i dont jailbreak my phone)

11. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I went over 5GB on LTE in June, and AT&T throttled me. ****ers

12. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

in all fairness the bay area is pretty data heavy so your "soft" cap is prolly a hard cap due to the sheer cluster of LTE phones.

13. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Just curious, which streaming app/s did you use to go over 5GB? I assume netflix + pandora.

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

U can hit over 5gb on lte pretty easily with just basic web surfing these days.

I know cause my wife doesn't stream pandora Netflix or anything like that. She uses the iPhone as a main Internet connection even those we have laptop and iMac at home.

15. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

16. TWD98j macrumors regular

Yeah when I upgraded to my 5S at the AT&T store on launch day, the rep told me I could keep unlimited and that they "will never take that away" from me.

I said I'm absolutely ok with that!!

17. CEmajr macrumors 601

Soft cap is when you get throttled after using a certain amount of data

Hard cap is when you don't get throttled but instead you get charged overages for exceeding your data limit.

18. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

19. Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

Less than 5% of the American population uses over 2gb of data. We all have it in our heads that we need unlimited when we don't. I had a customer who claimed left and right he used 4gb and when. I examined his plan he used less than 1. So every carrier throttles, but it's not like really need that much data anyways

20. tivoboy macrumors 68030

slingplayer

I streamed the standford football game from my house the other day with the slingplayer app. Image quality was EXCELLENT, not a hickup, "HD", used 2GB in two hours, at about 2000kps..I hadn't really realized how much the HD setting would suck up, but the picture quality was just sick, I couldn't look away.

Well, and Stanford one like 600 to 4. ;-)

21. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Majority netflix and a little iTunes radio during the iOS 7 beta period.

22. beegie macrumors regular

You weren't talking to me, but from 2009 until ATT renegged (sp?) on their TRUE Unlimited, I was doing 5-6-7gb per month & that was per THEIR bills (on my 3Gs iph). iPhone was FUN in those days, could spend time at youtube scouting for new stuff, could have all 30-email addys "on" in Mail app (where I made all notes for blogging as I had previously done on old iBook). Then ATT ruined all the fun via throttling between 2-3gig, & it is miserable., no more hanging out at youtube, turned "off" most all email addys, crammed all notes in unorganizeable Notes app (1,000). What a mess.

Heavy, long-hours internet/reading/surfing, but No radio usage or other "streaming"-anything ever, no games, no sports, no TV, etc.; only youtube in the "good old days" that lasted about a year, I think, thru 2010(?) when ATT backstabbed original True Unlimited customers w/throttling.

Since then, not fun. Would like to try Net10 for next phone, but need to find/read reviews first.

----------

Anyone know if that would apply if you are keeping the same phone but having to go from a Family Plan to an Individual Plan?

(Family are all going their separate ways after many years on an ATT Family Plan, so it looks like we'll have to "go it alone" on an Individual Plan. Want to keep my Grandfathered-Unlimited older locked-to-ATT-3Gs active/connected for at least a few more months while scouting around for new phone/new data plan elsewhere.)

23. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

If you switch from family to individual you will lose your unlimited plan. At least that was the answer I got from AT&T last year when I checked into their other options.

24. beegie macrumors regular

Thank you GrimmsGirl. I had an uneasy feeling that might be the case. :-/

25. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Their data cap process is still odd to me...

As example, in August, I was streaming Netflix at the gym and at 4.95gb I got a text stating to switch over to wifi or face reduced network speeds. I luckily made it out of the month without being throttled as this notice was just a day or so before the next billing cycle.

However, this month, I got all the way to 5.6gb with no text warning me of impending slow speeds, as it stands I've been throttled to 0.5mbps down/up since Saturday and my next billing cycle begins Wednesday this week.

I have been doing allot of music downloads, netflix, app updates at work the past month or so...I don't think this pattern will continue as I'll do more when at home on my Wifi.