Unlimited Data Subscribers: What apps are you using more now that you have LTE?

DylPickle85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009

With Unlimited data on Verizon, I have seen my usage charges on the Verizon website go up by about 1.5 GB since having the phone Friday night / Sat morning (normally use 30 mb in the same amount of time when using my 4S on 3G).

That said, I have been using the following apps for crunching my LTE bandwidth:
speedtest (obviously)
App Store (obviously)
Live webstreams on youtube
Hulu in HD
Netflix in HD

What about you?

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'm using all of the same apps that I did before.

Now that you mention it though, I streamed the IHeartRadio concert last night on wifi. Should have tried it with LTE.

Peligroso

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
New Mexico
Personally I think the focus for the telecommunication companies right now should be beefing up the infrastructure to accommodate unlimited data, instead of making available speeds that while nice are also a little too much.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Personally I think the focus for the telecommunication companies right now should be beefing up the infrastructure to accommodate unlimited data, instead of making available speeds that while nice are also a little too much.
While I agree with you I don't think this will ever happen unless we get government intervention (not saying I WANT that to happen... a free market is good). If they can get away with charging per data package, they certainly will. We went from Unlimited data for $30/mo to 5GB data costing nearly twice that. I doubt we will sway back towards unlimited any time soon.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
Just out of curiosity

Just to try, I used AirMediaCenter on my iMac and streamed a 1080p movie over LTE to my iPhone through the App. Smooth as silk, not even a stutter. So, I will definitely be using that. Also, youtube etc.

I have unlimited hotspot too for verizon. Will be using that for my laptops whenever I travel, or at work in a few spots where wifi isn't so good.

DylPickle85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Been using my phone pretty much every day to watch ESPN and Hulu shows. Anyone else?

At 8 GB of usage for this past month with another 10 days to go on my bill cycle! So glad I have unlimited data right now

articulatefool

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012

With Unlimited data on Verizon, I have seen my usage charges on the Verizon website go up by about 1.5 GB since having the phone Friday night / Sat morning (normally use 30 mb in the same amount of time when using my 4S on 3G).

That said, I have been using the following apps for crunching my LTE bandwidth:
speedtest (obviously)
App Store (obviously)
Live webstreams on youtube
Hulu in HD
Netflix in HD

What about you?

So you're saying your productivity at work has plummeted since the incorporation of unlimited LTE in your life? :D

DylPickle85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
So you're saying your productivity at work has plummeted since the incorporation of unlimited LTE in your life? :D
Haha no, I am just trying to get a feel for what other apps would be nice to use now that we have this awesome bandwidth at our disposal

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
I still don't think I would ever use my iPhone to watch netflix.

If I'm gonna watch TV/Movies, I'm gonna do it on my 47" LED TV.

Not a phone

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I would imagine verizon would probably implement a throttle soon. People are going to be raping their network with LTE and no throttle.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
My data usage has not change since I got LTE a couple of weeks ago. I have had unlimited data since 2007. I rarely exceed 2gb per month. Most of my heavy usage is performed on wi-fi. Even then, it's either on my iPad or MBP.

DylPickle85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
My data usage has not change since I got LTE a couple of weeks ago. I have had unlimited data since 2007. I rarely exceed 2gb per month. Most of my heavy usage is performed on wi-fi. Even then, it's either on my iPad or MBP.
Yeah I was in the same boat when I had previous generation iPhone. Now that LTE is even faster than my home Wi-Fi, I never even turn Wi-Fi on!

evilrt

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
sirius
nfl network
hd pod casts
youtube
real racing 2 online (while streaming sirius)
man, the phone gets warm when i do that!