Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I share an old 700 minute, unlimited shared text plan with my grandma. It is perfect for me, $80 for 700 minutes plus unlimited shared texts, $9.99 per line, and $30 unlimited data plus taxes. I am the account holder, my grandma is the secondary. She is going through congestive heart failure and I could see her passing by the end of 2012, so where would I be with the plan? Can I just cancel her line and keep my single line for $125 on the family plan? I don't want to call and ask because I don't want the rep to notate any of this on my account, lol.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
I share an old 700 minute, unlimited shared text plan with my grandma. It is perfect for me, $80 for 700 minutes plus unlimited shared texts, $9.99 per line, and $30 unlimited data plus taxes. I am the account holder, my grandma is the secondary. She is going through congestive heart failure and I could see her passing by the end of 2012, so where would I be with the plan? Can I just cancel her line and keep my single line for $125 on the family plan? I don't want to call and ask because I don't want the rep to notate any of this on my account, lol.

Something about the way this is worded makes me uncomfortable.

Anyways, they allow you to cancel lines with no penalty if you can provide proof of death.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
You're right, I'm asking because I'm planning on killing my grandma :rolleyes: MacRumors members say the darnedest things. My question though is does verizon allow single users to use family plans with just one line?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
No, you would have to switch to a single line. Though if you grandmother may pass away soon, what happens to your cell phone plan should be one of the last things on your mind.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Trust me, I have a lot to think about and there is no harm in planning ahead.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
To be helpful it would be morally wrong for AT&T to charge a line for a dead person, so if you can prove she died then they would have to.
Then again we are talking about AT&T here.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
A death certificate gets one out of almost everything. Getting one may take a little time so be prepared for that.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Why are people so reluctant(on the verge of being arses) to talk or help when it comes to death?

Like the OP said, it helps to be prepared by planning ahead. Have his questions and paperwork all ready when the time comes.

divisionbuyzero

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
No, you would have to switch to a single line. Though if you grandmother may pass away soon, what happens to your cell phone plan should be one of the last things on your mind.

Actually I disagree, and if you lost anyone close you should too. When someone passes you want to make sure everything else is taken care of...INCLUDING a plan for the cell contract. If you know it is going to happen soon you should be preparing. You'll have enough on your mind at the time to worry about.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Has no one ever heard of getting affairs in order when someone passes? This is the 21st century a cell phone contract fits under that.

Proof of death and you should be set and given a grace period on your family plan.

evilrt

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
i dunno. maybe i'm just being sensitive because i recently lost my mom and the last thing i was thinking about as she was slipping was her phone bill. i agree you should get this stuff in order but why not just call the cell carrier after the fact instead of bringing it here. sorry about your grandma.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Using "lol" as punctuation when discussing how to fully benefit on wireless plan when your grandmother dies. Winning at life.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
While the question is valid, I don't know why you had to broadcast all the details about your grandmother's illness to the internet. It just makes you come across as heartless.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
The OP is correct in planning ahead. I recently had both of my grandpas pass away a few months ago. Planning ahead is the best thing to do. Once it happens figuring things out is the last thing one wants to do.

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
I can understand with wanting to plan ahead regarding the logistics if someone were to pass away.. but I can't help but feel awkward talking about it.

I'm sure if you explain to them the situation and provide proof they would waive the fees\contract.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
1 person is legally responsible for the whole account. IF THAT person is still alive, then they are still responsible for paying for THAT line. If the responsible person had a written agreement with deceased that they were responsible for a specified percentage of the bill and the ETF associated with their line, then the responsible could legally have the estate of the deceased pay the ETF.

EDIT: Oh wait. This is about retaining you unlimited. Yes... this is possible... if you are on AT&T. If you are on Verizon... you will be getting Mobile Share.

volntitan

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
Kind of went thru something like this. We have a family plan with Father, mother, Sister, my daughter and myself. My father was the master account holder. He passed away so I went in to take his phone off the account. I had to take over as master account number and to take him off, I had to show the death certificate. We were able to keep the lines and the plan (700 minutes/unlimited data) with no problem other than the hour I had to spend on the phone in the At&t store.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
EDIT: Oh wait. This is about retaining you unlimited. Yes... this is possible... if you are on AT&T. If you are on Verizon... you will be getting Mobile Share.

On Verizon you will be forced into an individual plan. If you have a family plan, you can drop the extra lines, convert to an individual plan with 450/900 or unlimited minutes and keep unlimited data. I did this with my line two months ago - dropped my line off my family's family plan. Switched it to an unlimited voice line, unlimited texts, and kept unlimited data for $120/mo.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Jeez these Youngins are ruthless. Why don't you spend some quality time with grandma instead of trying to collect her rollover minutes before she dies.

/sarcasm

/notreally

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Thank you to everyone who has been helpful.

Everyone else: what the hell?! How is it wrong for me to plan ahead? I am going to make plans for the aftermath, but I am going to also do her grocery shopping every couple of days, get her prescriptions, an do all of her housework to prolong her health as long as possible. Sure, I threw in a "lol," but it wasn't a "haha, funny" type of lol. It was a "I'm-trying-to-make-this-thread-unawkward" type of lol.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA

Everyone else: what the hell?! How is it wrong for me to plan ahead? I am going to make plans for the aftermath, but I am going to also do her grocery shopping every couple of days, get her prescriptions, an do all of her housework to prolong her health as long as possible. Sure, I threw in a "lol," but it wasn't a "haha, funny" type of lol. It was a "I'm-trying-to-make-this-thread-unawkward" type of lol.

Don't listen to the dumb@sses that commented. Some people think that these kinds of things get handled by magic. Their day will come.

I commend you on taking on these responsibilities for your loved one. Preparing for the bureaucratic snarl that inevitably follows a family member's passing is the proper thing to do. You'll also have to handle things like canceling magazine subscriptions, notifying the DMV if she owns an automobile/tags & other stuff that will come up as time goes on. Certified copies of a death certificate can be requested from the funeral home at the time you make final arrangements.

I had to do all of this myself in 2009, abruptly and with no warning. This is just another way to take care of your Grandma. Courage & comfort to you along your journey. :)

Last edited:

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Exactly, try to get the easier things sorted out like her car registration, phone, or any subscriptions. When the time comes, you won't be panicking.

A death certificate is sufficient proof for all this.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012

It is always better to plan ahead. Heck, my parents and I have everything planned out in the event of their deaths or my own. Accounts, wills, bills to cancel, etc, all documented.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
MacRumors members say the darnedest things.

Agreed. See below.

I don't want to call and ask because I don't want the rep to notate any of this on my account, lol.

While planning ahead is a good idea, not calling the company who you will be working with is not a good idea. Out of curiosity, why don't you want your cell company to "notate any of this on my account?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.