Unlimited Plan and phone switch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psychotropic, Sep 28, 2012.

1. psychotropic macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I have a quick question regarding my unlimited data plan. I have the unlimited data plan since the first generation iphone with ATT. I spoke with a guy at att and he told me that I could use an upgrade and get the galaxy s3 and keep my unlimited plan, while giving my 4s to my wife. So in essence, I would keep my current sim card and just put it in the s3. Given that, he said nothing would happen to my unlimited data. Does anyone know if att will see me using a different phone and take it away? Because if that is the case, it's not worth trying it.

Any advice relating to this issue is appreciated.

2. ProudLoz macrumors regular

Your unlimited plan will stay with you. It will not be removed unless you decide to remove it yourself. If the Galaxy S3 is an LTE phone on AT&T, it'll most like change to "Unlimited Data Plan for LTE Phones" instead of "Unlimited Data for iPhone".

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe this would be fine but its the last upgrade for grandfathered customers. You can always call, why make it sound shady when it isn't?

4. psychotropic thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean it is the last upgrade for grandfathered customers?

As far as "shady," I am not trying to make anything shady, I just don't want to lose my unlimited data plan. It was my understanding that my unlimited plan was only linked to plans with the iPhone. Thus, my worry of switching to another phone and losing my unlimited plan. The salesman at att said there would not be any problems, however, I wanted to ask a forum that I trust to ensure I don't have any issues.

Thanks for the quick replies!

5. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Where'd you get that info? I'm interested.

I'm on unlimited with AT&T but not in an LTE area. I may be mistaken, or should say I probably am, but I thought AT&T customers had to sacrifice their unlimited plans to get LTE or Face Time. As I said I'm not in an LTE area but I don't get face time and I assumed it was because I was still on my unlimited plan.

6. ProudLoz macrumors regular

Well, I went from an iPhone 4S to and iPhone 5, and I have the unlimited data plan. When I activated my iPhone 5 it went from "Unlimited Data Plan for iPhone 4S" to "Unlimited Data for iPhone on 4G LTE". It happens the same thing with any other LTE devices but it just doesn't have the word "iPhone".

I know this since I remember reading a from a couple of MacRumors members asking the same thing last year since some decided to get an Android with LTE instead of the iPhone 4S, and one of them mentioned that the unlimited data plan sticks with your LTE device. It's still under the same price too, just different wording, but the same plan essentially.

7. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

I'm an AT&T rep at a corporate store an yes that's correct. If you have an unlimited data plan right now, it doesn't matter what smartphone you switch to, you will keep your unlimited data unless you want to switch to a different plan.

8. psychotropic thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

Actually you should be moved to the proper Unlimited LTE Data plan for Smartphones that is not specific to the iPhone. The Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE has the Visual Voicemail feature that is not directly compatible with the S3. The Visual Voicemail feature will send you odd SMS Txt messages on your S3 that are meant to be read by the iPhone so while it will physically work it is not the best fit for other Smartphone devices. :D

Not an issue, if you have an unlimited data plan with AT&T, you will get to keep it!

Dave

10. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I upgraded to the iPhone 5 yesterday and I am grandfathered in with unlimited data. However, I was informed that my data pricing is now $40 per month instead of the $30 I was paying before. Is this true?
    I never saw anything online about a price increase.

11. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

No, thats not true. It stays at $30, who told you that? If it was a store was it corporate or authorized dealer?

12. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Thanks for this information. I've heard conflicting things, but likely from other companies like Verizon or Sprint.

Also, I'm waiting to buy a white iPhone so I won't have the physical problems associated with the black phones. I have a 4, so upgrading to the 5 seems like a good idea now. I'll be buying one either at the corporate store near me or from an Apple store near me.

It's good to know that the unlimited data stays with me. Thanks! :)

13. Charadis, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012

Charadis macrumors 6502a

Glad this topic has been raised. Unlike the OP, however, I'm currently using a Verizon iPhone 5 with my AT&T account sim installed. Everything seems to be fine so far, but I was wondering if att really sees my phone as a feature phone? And if they do, will they ever change my plan or will I have any problems later in the long term?

My visual voice mail works fine, and I still see my data plan as LTE for iPhone. When I log online on desktop computer, it shows I have an iPhone 5 as my phone, but the online site on my phone shows a dumb phone and does not display any info about it... :|

-C

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

With ATT, your unlimited data plan is tied to the phone number.

IT IS NOT TIED TO ANY SPECIFIC PHONE.

You can put different phones on that line every week if you want.

15. wookiee2cu macrumors member

That's weird because I was told that when AT&T went away from offering the unlimited data those who had an iPhone and only upgraded to other iPhones would be grandfathered with unlimited data. However if you changed your voice plan or switched to another device you lost your unlimited as they were trying to get everyone off of it and to a tiered data plan. Taking out the sim and putting it in another phone would also register on your account when you made calls so your plan would get changed. This was from a friend who worked at a AT&T corporate store.

16. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

This also adds to my relief because my son has an iPhone 4, so it seems that if I get an iPhone 5 for me, all will be well no matter what.

As I mentioned above, I'm not sure exactly what first led me to think about the possibility of losing my unlimited data part of my contract, probably from a Verizon or Sprint thread I would guess. This answers the question and I'll stay with AT&T because I have a FAN discount with them with my job.

17. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

[​IMG]

sorry nothing personal i just dont like ATT as a company ;)

18. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Do you have some inside knowledge none of us do? This is the first I have heard of this.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope I read it on these forums, that's why I used the words "believe" and then recommended that he "call." ;)