Unlock 3GS that’s not activated through iTunes?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by stukie99, Jan 12, 2012.

1. stukie99 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your time reading my thread.

I’m trying to unlock an iPhone 3GS for my brother. We’re in the UK, however the phone we believe is locked on US network AT&T. It was given to my brother from a relative in the states, and she restored/updated it some time ago and gave it him.

The problem I’ve got... How do I unlock this phone, as it isn’t activated? Will blackra1n work at the screen prompting me to plug it into iTunes (Not recovery mode, it’s asking me to plug in to iTunes to activate). I can’t put an AT&T Sim Card in as we don’t have that network here in the UK?

I know the easy answer is to just try it... My brother is completely IT illiterate and doesn’t even have a PC, he’s travelling a few miles for me to try it.

Any help, suggestions or comments would be great!!

Thanks

2. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

I'm pretty positive it needs to be activated through iTunes. :/

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Put this phone into DFU mode, restore it with iTunes go bring it up to 4.2.1. Then jailbreak/hactivate it with redsn0w to by pass activation/emergency screen.

Once you have done that, then check bootloader on the phone to see possibility of downgrading its baseband. Otherwise, you have to put 06.15 on it in order for you to unlock it.

4. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

You can also use sn0wbreeze to hacktivate it then proceed to unlocking it thereafter.

Then, depending on your Baseband you can either go to 6.15.00 [iPad baseband] or stay with what you have. :)

5. stukie99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

If I restore through iTunes won’t this update to iOS 5.0.1 as opposed to 4.2.1? Also, when you say to check bootloader, what do you mean by this? I thought it was only the baseband that mattered when it comes to unlocking?

I’m quite new to all this so forgive me!

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I misread your post, you are right, it will be 5.0.1 since you have 3GS.

7. stukie99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thought so, do you know if there is a jailbreak & then unlock for 5.0.1 3GS, preferably untethered?

Thanks again

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yes, there is untethered jailbreak available for 5.0.1. Use redsn0w 0.9.10b3 and you can get step by step tutorial from iclarified.com.

9. stukie99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again.. I'll still post results incase anyone else comes across the same issues I've had :eek:

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Just make sure that it isn't a newer (mid 2011 or later) 3GS or the iPad baseband will fry your phone's functionality.