Unlock a used iPhone question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dukebound85, Sep 14, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

If I buy a iPhone that is used from somebody that was under contract for them, would I, the new owner, be able to get the iPhone unlocked?

How would I go about doing this

Thanks

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

If you have a current contract with AT&T, you can call them or use the online form to request the unlock.
    It might be better for you to ask the current AT&T owner to do that for you before buying it.
    The phone should be out of contract, after the contract expired.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I imagine the phone is still in contract as it is a 4s. I am no longer an AT&T account holder.

4. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

5. bmwman3241 macrumors regular

You can try with AT&T to have it done free of charge, but it could take a couple days/week to get done and they could require proof of purchase.

I purchased the unlock off ebay from UnlockFusion for about $9 and he will unlock it within 24 hours. As long as your phone is AT&T locked, he can unlock it by providing him the IMEI number.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Doubt it.
    And since you're not an AT&T customer or the accountholder they wont unlock it.
    Just buy an unlock on ebay.

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is it that easy? If my brother is on ATT, could I just have him do it?

It should be able to be unlocked as I am not tied to a contract right? Or will they say no as the guy who initially bought it is still technically tied to it?

Also, is there anything I need to watch out for when buying used? Would a DFU delink the original owners id from the phone so he couldn't say trace me on the find my iphone app? I asked him if he would untie his id from the phone but how do i make sure? I ask as I remember when I sold my macbook, restored and everything, that it should up ion my find my mac until i deleted the device

Any other precautions I should take?

Never bought a used iphone before but the fact I can sell my 32gig unlocked 4 for the same amt I can buy a 32gig 4s is a no brainer to me

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like you said the particular iphone is still tied into someone elses account and contract hasnt expired. AT&T can see that as soon as they enter the phones IMEI.
    You can try but I doubt you will get far.
    When you're buying used make sure its restored and setup as new or if not you can plug it to itunes and do it yourself to delete every single thing from the previous owner.
    Besides that make sure its in fact an AT&T iphone and not one for verizon or Sprint. Try sticking someones AT&T sim in to make a test call.
    Also make sure it powers on. If they tell you the battery is dead and you can charge it and it will turn on later just walk away. Happened to someone I know and it would never turn on:D It was water damaged.
    That brings up another point, check the moist sensors for water damage. On the top where the headphones plug in and the bottom where it charges. Use a small flash light to see if its pink/red is bad or white/silver color then its good.

9. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

will restoring it unlink it from find my iphone? i dont need the previous owner being able to see my docs in the icould or see where i am

I have a straight talk sim. I should be able to use it even on a locked phone right?

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

ST doesn't require an unlocked phone.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, on both.

12. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Thanks guys

Another related question....how does "buying" an unlock work? How is that possible?

13. hope84 macrumors newbie

New in Iphone :p

Hi all, I have some questions... I'm new in Iphone, I just buyed one used Iphone 4... This was unlocked through Turbo Sim that worked fine but was kind of messi all the time I tunned off my phone.

So, once I get my code and unblocked my Iphone, how can I do to upgrade mi iS that is currently Version 4.3.3 (8J2) and Modem Firmware 04.10.01 without getting my phone screw?

Do I have to jialbreak it again? how can I do that?

I really will appreciate your support!!! Thanks in davance!! :D