Unlock AT&T fail- did I misunderstand?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silroc, Apr 20, 2012.

1. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

Bought AT&T iPhone June 2010. Still on contract till June 2012.

So am I SOL until then?

That's basically what the online chat guy told me...

2. saud0488 macrumors 6502

go get it replaced at genius bar if you have applecare. then try again. Your contract is tied to IMEI.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Yes AT&T only unlock iPhones out of contract. You can only get an unlock in contract if you are a service member being deployed overseas I believe.

Also contrary to what the other poster said I doubt apple would replace your iPhone even if you have apple care as they replace it for accidental damage not just because you want a new phone.

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

If you do an upgrade or pay etf you are eligible as well. Have you asked att?

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

6. antman2295 macrumors 6502

Question, so if you shatter say the back screen, and go to get it replaced, do you get to keep the old phone? Or do they take the broken phone?

7. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

They always take the broken phone.

8. iFiend macrumors 65816

Not at all true.

If you shattered your back glass, and that was all that was wrong with it, they very well may just replace that.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's their rules but try a few more times.
    Tell them you want to use it overseas for an upcomming vacation or something.
    You might find some rep that's understandable and more willing to help.

10. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I'm pretty sure that after the Apple Care program started and all of that the Apple store officially stopped replacing front and back glass plates- anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

11. psywzrd, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm in the same boat as you but I managed to get them to unlock mine for me via their chat support. Look for the link to the online chat posted in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1355053&page=5#goto_displaymodes

12. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

Regardless of Applecare, it extends the warranty for the hardware defect/failure, battery failure for 2 years, it does not cover accidental damages.

Apple does replace iphone regardless of applecare or applecare+. They still replace the back plate if only the back plate is plate. If the front is damage, then the whole unit will be replaced.

Also even if one does get it replaced, while the warranty does transfer over to the replaced unit, your contract also does, so he/she wouldn't be able to unlock the iphone, not unless he/she pays the ETF but have had good standing prior to the ETF.

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

AT&T won't know that though. For all they know, you lost the old phone and bought another off contract.

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

In theory if you are under contract and you get your phone replaced due to hardware failure, AT&T would probably know because when you activate the phone (replacement one), it has to go somewhere so it will go through AT&T server, thus locking the phone.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Did you consider yourself SOL when you bought the phone before AT&T unlocked phones?

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I think he means SOL on getting unlocked. If so, by definition he was SOL before ATT offered unlocks, no?

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It goes through apple's server, not AT&T. AT&T can tell the phone is different; they cannot tell whether it was a warranty replacement or one purchased after the fact for whatever reason.

18. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Unless there's an immediate pressing need to unlock right now I say wait out the approximate 45 days till your contract is up. However, there seems to be a lot of confusion among AT&T reps on what to unlock so another call may yield different results.

19. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

OP specifically wanted to unlock his phone, but that his contract isn't up until June 2012, he can either wait 2 month and get it unlocked or pay etf. Even if he replaces the iphone due to hardware faulty, he will get the locked iphone. Who knows if AT&T will unlock it or not. But I highly doubt that it will because technically even if he replaces the unit it would still be under his contract.

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Will it be under his contract? Yes. Will AT&T know? No. OP could easily claim that he bought a replacement off contract after losing his original. If AT&T doesn't ask him for the receipt (depends on the rep) they'll unlock the phone. There have been a few people (myself included) that got their on-contract phones unlocked that way (my particular device being a 64GB 4S bought on launch day). It all depends on how comfortable he is with misleading AT&T.

21. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

Ah okay good to know.

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

That is what I am saying.

23. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

When I got the phone I was in a different role at my company- things have changed and now I do go to Canada alot and figured this unlock news would be a great solution for me- but I am SOL for only 2 more months it seems.

Thanks to all for your clarification... I will just wait it out..