Resolved Unlock iPhone 4S via AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KylePowers, Oct 30, 2012.

1. KylePowers, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Howdy,

So I upgraded to the iPhone 5 (using the device upgrade swap method and whatnot); now I have an iPhone 4S just sitting here that I'd like to unlock and sell. I submitted a request through this link: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/?

But I keep getting denied, with this error message:
    From my understanding, the 4S is no longer under contract (thus nullifying the first possibility in their explanation) and I've submitted using the phone number that was associated with it (mine), both as a current customer and former customer (denied both times).

So I'm not sure. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

//Related, when I'm ready to sell it, I just go to Setting -> General -> Reset -> Erase all content and settings ... then pop the SIM out, yes?

EDIT - Should I do the above (perhaps sans the SIM removal) before submitting an unlock request? Could that be the/an issue?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same thing with me.
    I got denied too using that online page with an old iphone not under contract any more.
    I rather not waste any more time fighting with AT&T reps and just spend $3-4 on ebay to have it imei unlocked.

3. outie2k macrumors regular

I am not sure where you got the idea that your 4S is no longer under contract. You did an upgrade swap, which uses your other line's upgrade eligibility, with your original line's contract untouched. The only ways the 4S is no longer under contract is when the term-length has been met, or you have upgraded *your* own line of the 4S, whether a fully qualified upgrade, or an early upgrade (with the extra $250).

Anyways, your 4S is still under contract so AT&T will not unlock it. Go on ebay and have it unlocked by unlock_fusion for a few bucks.

4. KylePowers thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Ah, I see the confusion. I used another line's upgrade, but that line does not use the iPhone 4S. It uses the same phone (an iPhone 4) that was originally on that line. So the iPhone 4S has no phone number currently tied to it, is deactivated, and should be eligible for an unlock.

Yes? or No? I certainly see what you're saying though and I feared that myself. But yeah, I'll check out eBay then.

EDIT - Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure my iPhone 5 is eligible for an upgrade at the end of my 4S's contract, so I guess you're right then. Hrmmm

5. nitemare macrumors regular

depending on when you did the upgrade/swap it may take a billing cycle for it to catch up and the new IMEI number to get associated with your line to be able to use the online request. your 4S is now no longer associated with your account due to the upgrade/swap. the easiest way to get the unlock complete is to call AT&T customer service to manually change the IMEI. i know this is the way to go as i just went through it.

6. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

rather than deal with ATT, I would rather just pay the $4.18 that unlock fusion charges.

I unlocked mine and my wife's iphone 5 already with it. ;) I rather have the unlock when I travel, and not need it than need it and not have it.

7. KylePowers thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Hrmm, how is this done / is it legal? Just curious.

Also, does unlocking your iPhone 5 (via unlock fusion) while its in contract break the contract? Do you have to pay an ETF or anything? etc etc

8. Applejuiced, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, sounds like you're confused.
    The particular line is still under contract.
    When you do an upgrade swap just because you know use an i5 from another line doesn't make your current contract for the 4S void.
    Either way you have to wait or pay for the eBay unlock.

No, it doesn't break the contract and you don't pay any etf fee.

9. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

idk about the legality of it, but the way it works is basically the same principle as if AT&T were to unlock it.

The locks are not held by AT&T, they are held by apple via Itunes. From what I understand they are by IMEI numbers.

When you pay unlock fusion or other ebay unlocker they somehow "whitelist" your imei, you then proceed to do a restore on your phone via iTunes, you get the message banner saying congrats your iphone has been unlocked.

I have done this and gotten the message via itunes.

I even paid them around 5 bucks for an unlock code for my dad's AT&T Galaxy Note, which worked perfectly, insert foreign sim and enter unlock code, code accepted, and you are done!

10. KylePowers thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Hrmmm interesting! Think I might do this with my iPhone 5 then :)

Thanks for all the advice guys (and/or gals?). I'll keep you updated :D

11. luqtotheman macrumors regular

Just used unlock fusion on eBay paid $ 3.49 and got then unlock within hour and half. That 3.49 might be a well worth your time plus you won't have to wait a whole week to get your iphone unlocked.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Just give them a call and they'll be able to unlock it. Tried the online page three times in a row without success (it doesn't seem to work if you've already upgraded to the iPhone 5 as your number is no longer associated with the 4S), but an at&t rep unlocked it when I gave them a call.

13. KylePowers thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Went with Unlock Fusion and successfully unlocked it. Thanks everyone :)

Going to do the same with my iPhone 5 :D

Cheers!