unlock my old iphone3g now ive moved sim to new iphone4 on o2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wagawagawoowoo, Jul 31, 2010.

1. wagawagawoowoo macrumors member

Ive taken the plunge - upgraded to the iPhone4 - its great - im in UK on O2.
    I followed the transferring your sim to the new micro sim instructions - it all worked well overnight - and my new phone is fantastic.

however ive just realised i should probably have asked o2 to unlock my old phone (which apparently they would do for free as i was at end of contract) before transferring the sim.

so my question is id like to give my old phone to my son - who has a vodafone payg sim - can i easily - legally unlock the iPhone3G for him?

i realise i can enter the dark world of jailbreaking but im not that keen to do that unless i have to.

i can just order a o2 payg sim - and i suppose this is my default fall back but as he has credit on the sim he has - hed like to use that for now.

any ideas? help appreciated?

Neil

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You don't need a SIM to physically be in the phone you want to unlock, you only need an eligible SIM card (your current SIM). Just enter your details online and they'll send a text to you regardless of which phone your SIM is in. Then you just pop any non-O2 SIM into your old 3G, connect to iTunes and the rest as they say is history.

Remember don't upgrade your 3G to iOS4 if you don't want to cripple it ;)

3. wagawagawoowoo thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks. Will give it a go. Have just submitted my IMEI code for the old phone to O2.

4. wagawagawoowoo thread starter macrumors member

Alas i made that mistake - one of the reasons i bought an iPhone4 - though bizarrely - potentially everyones happy - i have a new iphone4 - my son has my iphone3 if only the his sim worked (hopefully) though he is left with a slow buggy iphone. I'm toying with downgrading him - there seem to be some posts it can be done from iTunes? or waiting for 4.1 - he actually doesnt need the phone functionality until school goes back so as long as 4.1 comes out soon he should be ok.

thanks

5. wagawagawoowoo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Just to state that the advice worked. I downgraded and unlocked and my son is very happy!
    Thanks