Unlock or not to unlock

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
My wife and I both have at&t iPhone 5's. I know the benefits of unlocking but, wanted to know if we should if we don't plan to switch carriers or travel.

The price is fairly cheap ($15/phone). Is this enough reason to just do it and get it over with just in case? As with anything, why would someone want to be tied down to something if they didn't have to be?

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
My wife and I both have at&t iPhone 5's. I know the benefits of unlocking but, wanted to know if we should if we don't plan to switch carriers or travel.

The price is fairly cheap ($15/phone). Is this enough reason to just do it and get it over with just in case? As with anything, why would someone want to be tied down to something if they didn't have to be?
Just wondering- what's the point if you are not switching carriers or traveling?
MOST people unlock their carrier locked phones for those two reasons.
Some claim that there is a slight bump in re-sale value. Perhaps so... But the main advantage is to use another network, either domestically or internationally.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas

I have contemplating this, as well. I have been with AT&T since the mid/late 80s, when they were a start-up by the name of Cellular One. As such, I doubt that I will be switching carriers any time soon. The benefit of being able to travel abroad with my phone is a definite benefit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.