Unlock Procedure

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Superman80, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Superman80 macrumors regular

Hi All,

I know this is a pretty simple question and prob been answered a few times but i want to make sure,

If i have paid for my unlock and its all been confirmed do i HAVE to restore to get the unlock to happen or can it be done another way?

i dont want to restore the phone as last time i had problems with photos/contacts etc

Someone said you can just put a non supported sim in, plug into itunes, it will then throw and error message up, then you just put your normal sim in and you should get the 'congratualtions' text

is this right?

Thanks

2. chestvrg macrumors 65816

The proper way is to restore if I'm not mistaking. Every time after an "un-jailbreaking" I get the unlock msg. from iTunes.

Now have you call your carrier to process the unlock? I believe you have to call to let them know if you have paid in full. Tmobile processes unlocks that way from what I read on other carriers (what carrier you have, AT&T?)

3. Superman80 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i have had the confirmation from my carrier (T Mobile UK) that its been unlocked and been given the Restore instruction, was just hoping there was a way to unlock it without restore for no other reason than i dont want to lose my contacts etc again, my phone isnt jailbroken and is on the 6.1.3 firmware

4. Candyman8019 macrumors newbie

As long as you're backed up to iCloud you'll be okay. Do your restore to get the phone unlocked and then restore again from your icloud backup. All good.

5. Superman80, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

Superman80 thread starter macrumors regular

Incase anyone is interested i just put in an O2 sim, it came up on my phone - activate needed i pressed ok and hey presto my phone was unlocked, didnt need itunes a restore or anything, ive tested it and i now work on O2, EE and Toggle mobile

Although at the moment all the unlock sites show it still as a locked status