Unlock Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ib217, Oct 7, 2012.

1. ib217 macrumors newbie

Hi, I just unlocked my iPhone 5 with the IMEI unlock and have gotten the msg on iTunes that it is now unlocked. However, I just read this article on forbes.com http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcweb...u-into-thinking-your-iphone-4s-is-unlocked/2/.

The article says although ur iphone is unlocked it's not really unlocked and I'm very confused about what the article is saying. Does that mean that I cannot use my phone with any carriers although it's unlocked? I bought my phone through Apple.

Thanks so much in advance!

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'd like to know as well. From what I understood from the current posts, that unlock means unlock to use as a worldphone in another country, but not unlocked to another service provider. You wouldn't be able to use an unlocked GSM phone on a CDMA network locally.

Then, I later saw a post that the 5 is not a world phone, so I'm very confused. I'm also curious when Apple later sells the unlocked 5, if that has limitations as a world phone?

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If iTunes says are your iPhone is unlocked, then it's unlocked. You can also enter your IMEI here http://s-url.ro/ to make double sure of yourself.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Beat way to check is always trying a sim from another carrier. You can find them on ebay cheap. Sometimes you can talk another carrier into letting you try one or a friend. You can find video's on youtube how to cut the, as well.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Dont over analyze it.
    If itunes says your iphone is unlocked then it is.
    It can be used with any carriers GSM network sim.
    Simple as that.

6. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Checking with a different carrier's SIM easy to do and eliminates the guesswork.
    It also allows those with an unlocked iPhone 4 & 4s who want to use a different carrier to do so without the necessity of using IOS 6 if you choose not to. You can avoid doing the Restore part which will update your IOS.