unlock service for iphone....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frost5656, Sep 30, 2012.

1. frost5656 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, :)
    I've read many threads where people saying how easy they unlocked their on-contract AT&T iphones through unlock_fusion or whatever, and how happy they are now. I know how it works, but i want you guys to make it clear for me.

For example, I'll go to buy AT&T iphone 5 for 199$ with 2 year contract, then I'll buy unlock service on ebay, and after that, i will be able to use this iphone on whatever carrier i like(straight talk, T-Mobile)? The questions which interest me is what will happen with 2 year contract? My iphone will become factory unlocked? i'm actually getting unlocked iphone for 199$+tax instead of 649$?

Are there any serious consequences which can occur in future?
    This unlock service sounds too easy, and too unreal, but can somebody who've done it before, confirm that it works.
    I know there are many topics talking about this, but i didn't found answers which i need.
    I appreciate any help. Thanks.:)

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

If you get it unlocked, then yes, you can use it on any carrier you like. But you will still have a 2 year contract. You'll have to pay an early termination fee if you want to get rid of the contract.

3. frost5656 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok...now it makes sense, so if I'd do that, I'd end up paying ~620$ (199$ iphone+ contract, 350$ termination fee + 70$ minimum for 1 month usage, as i know i have to wait at least 30 days to be able to terminate my contract) what is 30$ less that paying full price.
    :)Thanks for clearing it up for me, AlphaDogg.

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

And that is the reason Verizon sprint have $350 etf and att has $325 etf. They all used to have around a $175 etf.

Soon I think the carriers will make the etf $400 if more people try to save $50-100 up front.

Carriers aren't dumb. They are monitoring the situation closely. Verizon noticed this happenening in 2009 when people did this to buy the original Motorola droid (opening new line and paying $175 etf to get the $199 droid) and att knew about this when many opened line to buy 3GS for $199 and paying the $175 etf. Far cheaper than paying the $599 retail price of the iPhone 3GS at that time (apple raised retail price of top iPhones quietly in April 2011 to $649).

5. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

if you have a friend with a family plan willing to do you a favor, get the iphone for $199 by opening a new line on his plan and then pay him the $240 upfront for the added line ($10/mon x 2 yrs). he can then transfer that new line to another phone (as a spare line for him), or to no phone at all (just a sim card - so no risk of accidental added costs), and you're free to use the iphone however you wish. the iphone will of course be locked, but AT&T iphones are so easily and cheaply unlocked nowadays.