unlock with watch

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by slattery69, May 12, 2019.

1. slattery69 macrumors regular

just replaced my MacBook pro 13inch 2015 with a MacBook Pro 13 inch 2017. unlock with Apple Watch worked fairly flawlessly with the 2015 model. the new one only if I re open the lids in the first ten mins. after that it hangs for 10 secs then goes to password.

I've tried restarting MacBook and watch toggling the bluetooth on and off , setting up the watch as new and still it persists any ideas of how to fix this

2. slattery69 thread starter macrumors regular

Bit of an update if I cancel the sign in then hit a key to re wake from sleep it unlocks with the watch every time.
    I’m thinking it’s some sort of bug or something stopping it on the first try after it’s slept for 5 mins or so

3. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

I've been encountering the same thing. If it fails I got a tip here to put the Mac back to sleep and retry. Like your case it works after I do that.

4. slattery69 thread starter macrumors regular

that's the same for me, I have found that if the laptop is plugged in to power it tends to work most times. which makes me think its sleepy related either shutting off the bluetooth or wifi. would fit that on battery doesn't work first time but cancel and try again it does work as the bluetooth or wifi reconnect

5. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

I'm on an iMac. The weird thing is sometimes it tries and fails to unlock with my watch and sometimes it doesn't even try at all and just shows me the password prompt.

6. slattery69 thread starter macrumors regular

decided to unpair and pair the watch last night again and since then its been working solidly. not sure why as I've done the unpair and pair before but this time seems to have worked

7. slattery69 thread starter macrumors regular

Spoke to soon 24 hours later back to been as and when

8. cynics macrumors G4

Something to check....

System Preferences > Bluetooth > Advanced > Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer

9. slattery69 thread starter macrumors regular

That’s not on so I’ll try it. though to be fair it wasn’t on on my old MacBook and worked flawlessly on that

10. cynics macrumors G4

Ya I don't know if it will help or not I just went through my settings to see if there was anything obvious.

11. slattery69 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for trying anyway. Made no difference sadly same result very hit and miss