Unlock without iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdlevi27, Jun 9, 2012.

1. sdlevi27 macrumors regular

We are leaving the country the day our contract with AT&T expires. They will not unlock our phones prior to that date. I was planning on calling AT&T from Europe the day after our contract expires to unlock the phone, but we won't have access to iTunes. I've seen conflicting information on whether or not you really need to do a restore to unlock. Some people said you just need access to wi-fi to access Apple's authentication servers after you insert a foreign SIM.

Can anyone confirm I should be able to use a foreign SIM after the unlock is processed by Apple without needing to connect to iTunes?

I assume Plan B would be to do an iCloud Restore, but I'd prefer to not mess with a restore when we're away.

Thanks!

2. bsbuggs macrumors regular

HI
    Im still under contract and had the same situation, I chatted with tech support, The first try i was denied...I waited 15 mins and reentered chat and was given a case number...no denial this time. About 2 days later the online imei checker said the phone was not unlocked. Another day goes by and I get the email from ATT says my issue was resolved...NO instructions were given on what to do next.
    I did a restore update and received the unlock splash screen...So maybe you should keep trying until you leave... I did tell the TECH I was traveling out of country and NEEDED the phone. So maybe this helped and the tech was sympathetic. Hopefully this iwll help ya. Good luck
    Joe

(Ihone4) currently being used and under contract

3. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

iTunes, apple servers, microsims,

what a pain the arse

4. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

IF you have been with them for more then 9 months they should give you the code to unlock the phone. for free!

just call them right this minuit.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

First time I unlocked using a simple sync with iTunes. Wasn't my machine either!

Havnt had the need to unlock since as I always buy sim free from apple now.

6. nathdogg macrumors regular

When I unlocked my 4S (Vodafone UK) I didn't connect to iTunes.

I just turned the phone off and inserted the new sim. Then when I turned it back on a message appeared asking to activate from the handset. I clicked activate and then got a message saying the phone was unlocked. I was connected to wifi throughout the entire process.

7. sdlevi27 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I thought this was the process that should work. iOS 5 introduced "PC Free" so there must be a way to activate an unlock without iTunes.