Unlock your AT&T iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gabe1410, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Gabe1410 macrumors newbie

hey guys, I pre ordered a full price At&t iPhone 5 and I want to unlock it... what do I actually need to do? I saw some posts at techcrunch saying that the at&t iPhones come Pre unlocked and the only thing I need to do is restore it on iTunes

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

You answered your own question.

restore in itunes > set up as new phone > you should get a congratulations your phone is unlocked message > then just restore from your backup.

3. SellYourMacBook macrumors member

hey, so this works with any iphone 5?

I paid for a unlocking service on eBay and they instruct after they send you a message when they unlock your iphone and i have to restore via itunes ?

Is this just a gimmick with the seller and restoring by itunes already unlocks the iphone 5?

4. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Those Ebay unlockers simply enter your phones IMEI into an unlock database that goes back to Apple. I've heard that they are usually AT&T employees or have close access to the database. This tells Apple to unlock the device. Apple sends this back to the phone at the next restore.

I've also heard that all phones are factory unlocked by default and that during the activation process is when they become locked to the carriers. This is why simply restoring a phone what was paid full price for will unlock it.

5. krimonstar macrumors newbie

eBay helps unlock the iphone5 with contract. We r talking about the no contract iphone5

6. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

The off contract phones come unlocked. I believe each restore gives you the congrats message as the unlock status is determined at each restore. I do not believe there is anything you have to do in order to make an off contract phone unlocked.

7. SellYourMacBook macrumors member

Ah okay thanks for clearing that up.

8. Gabe1410 thread starter macrumors newbie

what if I buy one from radio shack? will i be able to unlock it?