Unlocked 4S - Best way to get data without contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pogopuschel, May 21, 2012.

1. Pogopuschel macrumors member

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4S and I am moving back to the US in a few days. I previously was with AT&T but now I would like to get a data plan without entering a 2-year contact. Simply because I'm not sure if I will stay in the US for more than 2 years.

I could probably order a prepaid phone and then jailbreak my iPhone to use data, but I'd prefer a "legally correct" solution. What are my current "official" choices? Are there any at all? Any provider is fine with me.

Thank you!

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

You can try Simple Mobile. It's prepaid and they run off of AT&T's service.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Use straight talk as a carrier. They use AT&T's towers.

It's the cheapest. $45/month. Includes 2gb data (supposedly advertise as unlimited ). Plus unlimited voice and text.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can sign up with AT&T without entering a contract, since you have your own device.

The main purpose of the contract is so you would pay off the full price of the phone (since you only pay the subsidized amount). Since you already have a device, signing a contract will not be necessary.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

What he said.

6. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Fixed that for you.

7. nitemare macrumors regular

this is not entirely true. when the iphone was first released it was not subsidized and you still entered a 2yr contract. AT&T does not have a BYOD policy that lets you get away without signing a contract unless you are on a current or expired contract and pay full price for a phone

8. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Just try straight talk, the best and cheapest prepaid service out there, just like the other member said is $45/mo and great coverage and 3G signal as well. You will not get the same data speeds as AT&T, but good enough speeds to stream video and browsing.

Ps: you might want to order your microSIM from straight talk in advance, it takes like three days to arrive.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I have added two different iphones and not had to to do a long term contract. They just started billing the monthly rate.

Back to the OP - I assume this phone is the right radio for ATT - poster only indicated he was once before on ATT, not that this phone is ATT.

10. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I am using Red Pocket and I get the same speeds if not slightly faster than when I was on AT&T. I top out around 6Mbps on my iPhone 4, upload is around 2Mbps.

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

OH! My bad thanks! That's what I meant T-Mobile's service haha.

12. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

No problem :D

13. redbusa06 macrumors newbie

Newb here but, is this to say that since I'm jailbroken.....that I can have truly unlimited data? I can't go more than 2.5-3 weeks before getting throttled back!

14. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Does T-Mobile USA not do microsim deals?

I just picked up a free microsim and had to top up £10 but for that i get unlimited browsing for 12 months. The youtube, app, netflix download limit is 500Mb per month.

//edit
    it seem the u.s. market is very different judging by t-mobile usa

this : http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/micro-sim/
    compared to this: http://explore.t-mobile.com/phone-sim-card

Seems like a vast difference. But then again North America is enormous in comparison so the infrastructure must be many times more expensive to run.