Unlocked 4S + Softbank (Japan)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pogopuschel, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Pogopuschel, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

Pogopuschel macrumors member

If I buy an unlocked iPhone 4S in the US will I be able to use it with a Softbank prepaid card in Japan? I don't care about data/3G, I just want to use it as a phone. AFAIK the unlocked 4S only works on GSM networks but I'm not quite sure what Softbank actually is.

2. Pogopuschel thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the bump but I really need an answer to this :(

3. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

SoftBank is GSM and technically there is no reason an unlocked iPhone wouldn't work BUT I've heard stories of SoftBank refusing to provide service on an iPhone that was not purchased from them.

You could check into AU and Docomo as well. AU now sells iPhones and Docomo has been used by people with unlocked iPhones for contract service before. Not sure about prepaid though.

4. yourmother macrumors regular

First question do u have a full visa? If you only have a 90 day visa it will be impossible to get a sim card, not even a prepaid.

5. Pogopuschel thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I do have a visa and a Softbank prepaid phone. I prefer to use prepaid cards rather than contracts because I am traveling rather frequently and I can get internet using the pocket wifi I am paying for separately (I don't wanna pay for 2 data plans). My goal is to put my current Softbank Prepaid card into the 4S. Since I will need to cut it I just want to make sure it's supposed to work ; )

I DON'T CARE ABOUT DATA since I'll be using my pocket wifi for that, just to make that clear.

6. benguild macrumors 6502a

This.
    I tried to do this when I was in Japan this summer and ended up roaming without data on AT&T. Luckily, I knew my way around from visiting before and didn't need Google Maps.

The first time I went, I had a BlackBerry which has much cheaper (compressed) data.

You can get a prepaid SIM from the Softbank booth at the airport, but the data is shockingly expensive. There's also a service that delivers a SIM to your hotel but I was unable to find any information on it.