Unlocked and need carrier for Canada/Greece traveling. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GraphicsGeek, May 6, 2010.

1. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

iPhone 3GS jailbroken and unlocked. Ive never used a cell phone out of the country before and will be traveling to Canada next week for business and Greece later this summer for a vacation. I really only need a data plan but Id like to have a few minutes, just in case. What carriers are in Canada and Greece that have plans like this? Is it possible? Will the only thing I need to do is just swap out the SIM and Im good to go on the local network (and a new number of course)? Thanks in advance.

2. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

Carriers in Greece are expensive for data on prepay. I use Cosmote for my cell service. There is also Wind and Vodafone, but Cosmote has the best coverage in the country. I just pay 20 euros a month for a prepay service, and included in that is a promo that is called Whats Up, which allows me to call anyone else who has Whats Up for up to 1500 minutes and SMS a month. I would just go into a Cosmote store, or a Germanos store and ask for a prepaid sim card for the phone service. Data is not worth it IMO, as there are always unlocked wifi spots everywhere.

BTW...where in Greece are you visiting?

3. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I am a world traveler so here's my two cents.. Why don't you just call AT&T and add an international data plan then remove it when you get back? It's generally not cost effective to buy international sims unless you're going to one single place for more than 2 weeks a month. Especially with the EUR to USD conversion, having to buy the SIM, and the premium for prepaid. My corp account allows me to have the international iphone unlimited plan but most users don't have that option. Analyze how much data you'd need, and how many minutes you need. Chances are you'll want the minutes to call home to the US, so use ATT's roaming as it'll be the same price. Otherwise get a prepaid calling card and call from the hotel.

4. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

Depending on how long you are staying for in Greece, you can get either a 6 or 13 euro prepaid calling card that can be used on landlines, and can call anywhere in the world, at a ridiculous rate. I have the 13 euro one, which lasts me almost 3 months, and I call the States quite often. The 6 euro one will last you a month. For example...I remember speaking to my friend in Boston for almost an hour, and it didnt even use up 60 cents.