Unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 at Subsidized Price?

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Has anyone been able to get AT&T to unlock your iPhone 5 after paying a subsidized price for your phone? I know they technically do not allow for this, but I'm curious if any forum members have had some luck.

(If you got your iPhone 5 unlocked via Ebay I don't really care.)

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I spent an hour researching it earlier this week. Found half a dozen forums where people discussed having their iPhones relocked. (Or people who unlocked iPhone's and then had angry customers when AT&T relocked iPhone's.)

utl768

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
I spent an hour researching it earlier this week. Found half a dozen forums where people discussed having their iPhones relocked. (Or people who unlocked iPhone's and then had angry customers when AT&T relocked iPhone's.)
impossible

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thats the exception in very rare cases and not the rule.
$6 is all you have to spend on ebay and you're done.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Provide link to other forums please.

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
To anyone doubting me, click my username and you can see one of my recent posts where I provide a link. That was only one of several.

If you don't believe me, I don't care. I'd like to get back to my original inquiry.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
To anyone doubting me, click my username and you can see one of my recent posts where I provide a link. That was only one of several.

If you don't believe me, I don't care. I'd like to get back to my original inquiry.
This is false misinformation.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Any reason why? They seem dead set on not allowing this.
There was another use who did the same thing and posted a thread about it a few weeks ago if I recall. I tried it and it worked.

They unlocked my 4S a month or so ago when I requested it through that online Subsidy Unlock form that AT&T has.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Submitted the same request for my iPhone 5, and they had me contact them. When I did, they said that they couldn't unlock an iPhone that hadn't finished its two year contract. I told them that they were being inconsistent since they unlocked my 4S less than halfway through my contract. I told them that all Verizon phones come GSM unlocked and that perhaps I should return my AT&T phone and take my business elsewhere. Within 2 minutes I had my phone unlocked by AT&T CS.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Can't believe OP is this misinformed.
Considering @Chronic is openly saying he is having people who screw him over re-locked and there are complaints on unlock_fusion's eBay feedback complaining of being re-locked, I find the OPs assertion completely plausible. Not sure why you guys are arguing with him.

And OP, if the worst than can happen is a re-lock, why not take that gamble? Getting AT&T to unlock you is going to be next to impossible.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
yeah and even if it were to hypothetically re-lock, wouldn't you have to do a restore for it to snap into place?

I dunno, maybe it happens and exists. But it seems to be the exception to the rule as previously mentioned.

I'm not worried about it, especially for $6. Plus, what other options do you have besides peoples' unlocking services? If it's subsidized, the only other alternative I can think of is getting another upgrade early (android phone or something) as an exception, then unlocking it. But even then, that's considerably more of a hassle.

Is there an accurate unlock checker site now? dev.mk i think says all of them are. Is iphoneox.com checking accurate/safe?

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Considering @Chronic is openly saying he is having people who screw him over re-locked and there are complaints on unlock_fusion's eBay feedback complaining of being re-locked, I find the OPs assertion completely plausible. Not sure why you guys are arguing with him.

And OP, if the worst than can happen is a re-lock, why not take that gamble? Getting AT&T to unlock you is going to be next to impossible.
Because I want a definitive unlock instead of something that may be relocked in the future.

I might call AT&T and politely threaten to leave them for Verizon if they won't unlock my iPhone 5. If they don't budge, then I'll use an unlocked GSM smartphone when I'm abroad. I absolutely will not pay AT&T for international use. Plus I want to use a local number abroad.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Because I want a definitive unlock instead of something that may be relocked in the future.
Even if the vast majority have never been re-locked? While I understand your concern to a degree, I do not understand your aversion to even trying. The chances of getting locked in the middle of a trip are few and you can always pull out your existing standby or rent a phone.

Same here, my i5 is still unlocked.
5-6 cases reported over thousands of unlocks sold on eBay.
I'll risk my $6:)
Exactly.

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
I had 2 iPhone 4's and 1 iPhone 4S unlocked 5 months ago, while all phones were still on contract, in fact 2 of them are still on contract and 1 has been upgraded to an iPhone 5. AT&T always makes exceptions, but it takes some effort on the customer part, i.e., more than a couple of calls to get the right rep who is willing to help you.

Is there an accurate unlock checker site now? dev.mk i think says all of them are. Is iphoneox.com checking accurate/safe?
Forget the checking websites and get the $0.99 cent T-Mo SIM activation kit!

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I might call AT&T and politely threaten to leave them for Verizon if they won't unlock my iPhone 5. If they don't budge, then I'll use an unlocked GSM smartphone when I'm abroad. I absolutely will not pay AT&T for international use. Plus I want to use a local number abroad.
You have about 99.9% that it will stay unlock!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.