Unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 at Subsidized Price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Oct 7, 2012.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Has anyone been able to get AT&T to unlock your iPhone 5 after paying a subsidized price for your phone? I know they technically do not allow for this, but I'm curious if any forum members have had some luck.

(If you got your iPhone 5 unlocked via Ebay I don't really care.)

2. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Why don't you care about the eBay unlocks? It works, it's permanent, it's cheap...

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

AT&T has relocked unauthorized unlocks in the past.

4. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I spent an hour researching it earlier this week. Found half a dozen forums where people discussed having their iPhones relocked. (Or people who unlocked iPhone's and then had angry customers when AT&T relocked iPhone's.)

5. utl768 macrumors 6502

impossible

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats the exception in very rare cases and not the rule.
    $6 is all you have to spend on ebay and you're done.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Provide link to other forums please.

8. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

To anyone doubting me, click my username and you can see one of my recent posts where I provide a link. That was only one of several.

If you don't believe me, I don't care. I'd like to get back to my original inquiry.

9. Sixth Street macrumors member

10. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

This is false misinformation.

11. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

I got them to unlock mine a few days after I got it.

They unlocked mine for me.

12. The New iPad macrumors regular

13. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Any reason why? They seem dead set on not allowing this.

----------

Misinformed?

14. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

There was another use who did the same thing and posted a thread about it a few weeks ago if I recall. I tried it and it worked.

They unlocked my 4S a month or so ago when I requested it through that online Subsidy Unlock form that AT&T has.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Submitted the same request for my iPhone 5, and they had me contact them. When I did, they said that they couldn't unlock an iPhone that hadn't finished its two year contract. I told them that they were being inconsistent since they unlocked my 4S less than halfway through my contract. I told them that all Verizon phones come GSM unlocked and that perhaps I should return my AT&T phone and take my business elsewhere. Within 2 minutes I had my phone unlocked by AT&T CS.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Considering @Chronic is openly saying he is having people who screw him over re-locked and there are complaints on unlock_fusion's eBay feedback complaining of being re-locked, I find the OPs assertion completely plausible. Not sure why you guys are arguing with him.

And OP, if the worst than can happen is a re-lock, why not take that gamble? Getting AT&T to unlock you is going to be next to impossible.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Unless you pay the etf, or prove that you are being deployed overseas.
    Or you find a really nice rep that's willing to bend the rules for you.

17. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

yeah and even if it were to hypothetically re-lock, wouldn't you have to do a restore for it to snap into place?

I dunno, maybe it happens and exists. But it seems to be the exception to the rule as previously mentioned.

I'm not worried about it, especially for $6. Plus, what other options do you have besides peoples' unlocking services? If it's subsidized, the only other alternative I can think of is getting another upgrade early (android phone or something) as an exception, then unlocking it. But even then, that's considerably more of a hassle.

Is there an accurate unlock checker site now? dev.mk i think says all of them are. Is iphoneox.com checking accurate/safe?

18. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I got my iPhone 5 unlocked by an eBay seller. Hasn't been relocked :cool:

19. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Because I want a definitive unlock instead of something that may be relocked in the future.

I might call AT&T and politely threaten to leave them for Verizon if they won't unlock my iPhone 5. If they don't budge, then I'll use an unlocked GSM smartphone when I'm abroad. I absolutely will not pay AT&T for international use. Plus I want to use a local number abroad.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here, my i5 is still unlocked.
    5-6 cases reported over thousands of unlocks sold on eBay.
    I'll risk my $6:)

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Even if the vast majority have never been re-locked? While I understand your concern to a degree, I do not understand your aversion to even trying. The chances of getting locked in the middle of a trip are few and you can always pull out your existing standby or rent a phone.

Exactly.

22. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

I had 2 iPhone 4's and 1 iPhone 4S unlocked 5 months ago, while all phones were still on contract, in fact 2 of them are still on contract and 1 has been upgraded to an iPhone 5. AT&T always makes exceptions, but it takes some effort on the customer part, i.e., more than a couple of calls to get the right rep who is willing to help you.

Forget the checking websites and get the $0.99 cent T-Mo SIM activation kit!

23. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

You have about 99.9% that it will stay unlock!

24. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather