unlocked att iphone mobile hotspot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmc1818, May 7, 2013.

1. bmc1818 macrumors member

If you unlock an ATT iphone after the contract expires, will the mobile hotspot feature then work without a hotspot data plan?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's a function of carrier provisioning, not the SIM lock. You'll still need a data plan that supports hotspot.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you unlock an iPhone do you get free calling or text messaging?
    No, you don't get any services without paying if the iPhone is unlocked.

4. bmc1818 thread starter macrumors member

If you buy any other brand phone unlocked, it is my understanding that noo additional data plan is needed. EG, a google nexus 4 will allow tethering by just putting the sim from the iphone in.

5. 617aircav Suspended

Not true in regards to any other brand.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

As far as my Nexus 4 is concerned, yes, tethering is a feature that just needs to be turned on in settings no matter what carrier I use. I have used it with both AT&T and T-Mobile.

In fact, I accidentally went through 5GB in less then 30 minutes by tethering on Monday. I had bought a season pass on iTunes on my computer. My ethernet quit working and I turned on WiFi so my computer automatically connected to the next best connection it could find which was my Nexus 4. Next thing I knew, I got a text from T-Mobile saying I used 4GB already and that I would be reduced to less than 4G speeds after 5GB. When I got the text, I disabled tethering and saw that I used 4.7GB in less than 30 minutes.

I have a $70 unlimited plan that I usually use for tethering.

7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

That's actually pretty damn amazing. Do you have LTE where you are? 4.7GB in 30 minutes is NICE.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

No I don't but I do get between 17-16Mbps on T-Mobile at home which is why I cancelled my AT&T and Verizon accounts a few months back. At Home on AT&T and Verizon, I got 0.00 speeds at home, seriously.

My speeds are so good on my Nexus that I keep data on 24/7, even on my iPhone 4S.

9. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Only on T-Mobile, there is one catch once you do the carrier update you will loose the free unlimited hotspot. You will only get reframed 4G speeds.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

And it's not reframed, it's refarmed.

11. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Reframed and refarmed are both slang terms for network modernization. I work directly on the hardware side of this industry.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not any phone will allow you to tether for free.
    Some will others wont.
    The iPhone does not.

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The difference with the iPhone is that Apple's officially "supported carriers" are able to control how (and whether) some of the features on your phone work when one of their SIMs is inserted.

With other phones, there's not usually a mechanism for the carrier to remotely control this sort of feature - aside from telling you that you can't use the feature or trying to block it "at their end".