Unlocked confusion.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slitherjef, Feb 12, 2013.

1. slitherjef macrumors 6502

Long story short, I kind of borked my AT&T galaxy note II. Somehow I managed to delete the stock image and the backup I made just in case this happened, and now, I am using a buggy rom that seems to drop my data connection and I need to toggle airplane mode to get it back! Yes, I can try to use ODIN to flash stock recovery and image, but I am now gun shy. I have bricked this device a few times already.

Frankly, I am tired of this. I am not ready to sign up for another contract as this phone is not that old. If I am going to carry two devices, I would like to get the most options I can. Thus, I was going to just flat out buy an iPhone 5 and say the hell with contracts.

This brought me to unlocked devices. I was thinking about going to Verizon since they have slightly better coverage inside my new job then AT&T, read, it holds onto a 3g signal a bit better, which should at least get me text messages and push notifications for weather (I am a huge weather junky).

Anyway, I learned buying an unlocked iPhone from Apple, LTE will only work on AT&T, but not Verizon. The unlocked verizon phone from apple don't work on CDMA!? then I read something else that kind of confused me. The iPhone verizon sells does work on CDMA, is LTE sim card unlocked and works on AT&T and t-mobile. Now, I have not sure I got things right or if the Verizon iPhone 5 will work on AT&T's LTE network. I DO have LTE service in Denver. There are two towers out here so far (vs verizon's 6)

The long and short of it is:

Can I get a Verizon iPhone 5 off contract from verizon? Is it unlocked where I can use AT&T and verizon's network (prepaid or chopping up a sim card or replacing a sim card from another phone (or "Upgrading" from another phone)? Swapping sim cards, prepaid for AT&T when I need it?

If I was to buy an unlocked iPhone 5, would going to Verizon and buying a device on a month to month contract be the best bet?

I basically need data only. I know verizon said I could use a phone and data only if I bought the device flat out?

Can I basically by a iPhone 5 from Verizon and use it pretty much on any network? If I go to AT&T, do I lose 4G? Which would be a moot point since it would work on Verizon's LTE 4G network?

2. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

You can buy a Verizon iPhone 5 and use it on a Verizon postpaid plan month to month. This will be more expensive than signing a contract with Verizon, as you'll need to pay full price for the phone. This phone can also be used on any GSM HSPA+ provider, but will only get LTE through Verizon.

The Unlocked iPhone 5 will only work with GSM HSPA+ providers or AT&T postpaid if you want ATT LTE.

3. slitherjef thread starter macrumors 6502

So, it would just make more sense to by a phone flat out from AT&T and just "upgrade" a phone? We have 4 lines.

4. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

That's probably your best bet. You could sell the Note II to try and offset the cost as well.

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

If you pay full price you'll have it unlocked anyway, or just go to Apple and buy the unlocked model straight up.

Verizon's will work, except without LTE, but if you are sticking to AT&T service anyway then there's no point.

6. Demonface macrumors 6502a

I would honestly go to AT&T and buy it from them . Atleast you will be able to get LTE and when you unlock it , The unlock will be permanent .

7. slitherjef thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice, all.

I am still kind of up in the air if I want to go ahead and buy an iPhone 5. If I do, it will probably be an AT&T version. Either unlocked directly from Apple, or perhaps from the AT&T store.

8. saud0488 macrumors 6502

Have AT&T replace it or find the correct way to fix from XDA. Someone will definitely straight trade you an iPhone 5 for Note 2. Search your local craigslist and meet at an AT&T store to make sure both can be activated. Also, you know it'll be under warranty so if there's any problem Apple will just replace it.

9. takeshi74, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

There's no such thing. Go to the iPhone purchase page on the Apple Store. You either select a carrier OR the unlocked version which doesn't work with Verizon or Sprint.
    Not necessarily. You wouldn't be able to use it on Sprint, for example. You'd be limited to using it on networks that it supports (look the bands in the specs).

Which carrier are you going to be using? Get that sorted out first.

10. slitherjef thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking about using both verizon and AT&T. Verizon holds a slightly better signal at work, whereas AT&T seems to work better around the house.

Seems as if I am overly complicating things.

Already have a family plan with AT&T, so a second line would not be that much more and makes a little more sense then going with another carrier which would cost even more then another line.