Unlocked iPhone 4S in store - when?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frez, Nov 14, 2011.

1. frez macrumors member

Does anyone know the actual date that retail Apple stores will carry the official unlocked versions of the iPhone 4S?

I know that one can purchase a carrier based 4S "off contract" since the launch date of Oct 14 - and that people have fortunately found them to be unlocked - but Apple has always maintained that the official unlocked iPhones wouldn't be available until November.

I was originally given a date of November 14 by the local Apple store, but when I called today - they said they hadn't received them yet.

Thanks!

2. b24pgg macrumors 65816

No official announcement yet. Keep an eye on the tech blogs and forums.

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I usually takes a week or so depending what city you live in for anything to get in store. You can purchase online and save yourself the gas money.

idk where I saw it but it was announced last week.

4. nixforfun macrumors newbie

No luck

I have been checking with multiple Apple stores here in Dallas about the same but noone seems to answer when would it be available in store.

I would like to exchange my 16GB purchased as device only for a 32gb but was really waiting for the unlocked one to appear. I have time till the 21st to exchange. Do they exchange it without a fuss if I want to go from 16 to 32 during the first month?

5. Bruce91 macrumors newbie

Would like to know this too!

Has anyone been able to walk in and buy one? If so where?

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I would suggest you order the unlocked now (last week actually) and then return the 16GB as soon as it arrives - or on the 21st if it hasn't by then. That gives you the best chance of a short or nonexistent period without a phone.

7. nixforfun macrumors newbie

Thanks Seanfranklin. My other question was- in the first 30 days, Can I go to them and tell them I need a exchange because I need to upgrade from 16 GB to 32? Do they entertain that?

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

That's not an exchange. You're returning the 16GB and buying the 32GB, which you are within your rights to do under the return policy on your receipt.

Exchanges are done for warranty issues, same model to same model.

9. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Yes, they will do that for you no problem. I exchanged my 32 for a 64 no questions asked, they knew I just wanted to upgrade and I paid the $100 difference.

10. Crapabble macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

do any of you know whether or not I can just walk into an Apple retail store and buy the AT&T "device only" there, or will I have to do the 9pm "reserve and pick-up" thingy? Would love to get a white 64gb 4s today, but the unlocked ones obviously haven't arrived at the retailers yet ...

11. entwife macrumors regular

You guys on about US stock?

All unlocked over here. :D

12. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

In NYC they only allow the 9pm reserves.. idk about where you live. Call and ask.

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If they have one, sure. Try it close to 6PM, that's when any reserved phones that haven't been picked up yet get released for general sale.