Unlocked iPhone 4S Through Online Reservation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dommo92, Nov 19, 2011.

1. dommo92 macrumors member

I have a friend in the States right now and will be doing me a huge favor by trying to pick up a device only AT&T iPhone 4S for me to use here in Japan.

My question is, has anyone on here been successful by reserving one online and paying full price the following day for an unlocked AT&T iPhone?

I'm worried because I was thinking they would lock the phone before hand since it asks you to choose a carrier when you reserve online.

Thanks

2. jekyoo macrumors 6502

The unlock is done automatically when you buy it device only. Once Apple scans and rings it up as a 'device only' purchase, it becomes unlocked.

You don't need to do a reservation if you're buying it device only. Reservations are only for people who want to buy it with a contract. Heck, there isn't an option to reserve it as 'device only'.

3. ratbrain macrumors member

i made the online reservation for ATT phone.

next day i walked in when the store opened and asked for my phone. then i said i wanted to purchase as "device only" or "off contract".

rep said no problem. paid for the phone. went home and got the unlocked msg in itunes.

4. dommo92 thread starter macrumors member

I'm using the reservation system online so that I can assure myself of an iP4S when my friend gets to the Apple Store.

I'm thinking that the unlock/lock occurs at the point of sale so sounds like I should be fine making a reservation online and making a note for my friend to say 'device only' when she gets to the payment part.

5. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

How you want to use it ? Which Carrier you want to use ? Or WiFi only ?

6. jekyoo macrumors 6502

But you can't do a reservation without having a carrier upgrade. When you reserve it, it asks for your carrier information like phone number, last 4 digits of SSN and zip code. It then verifies upgrade eligiblity before you can reserve it.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Reserve it as a "new" AT&T phone, not an upgrade. You don't need to have an existing AT&T account.

8. dommo92 thread starter macrumors member

Really?! I tried this out with a dummy Apple ID to see if the reservation system actually works and it does! It doesn't ask for phone #, SSN, or a zip code.

I'm reserving in the morning, around 10 pm Japan time to grab a reservation for my friend to pick up an iPhone 4S at the Upper West Side store or the West 14th street store.

I hope I don't lose out on $800....

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

It's just a reservation. It does not ask for your carrier info, your phone number, nor ssn and zip code at all. This is because you just make reservation and you just pay at the store when you pick it up.

If you do a online order then yes it will ask you for your phone number and such.

I reserved my phone 10/20/11 and it did not ask me anything about phone number, anything like that. You do that when pick it up.

OP: Just reserve your phone, you will be fine. Just have your friend tell the apple guy that you want the "Device Only" phone and Apple will their job.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

You need to reserve at 9:00pm in New York, so 11am in Tokyo. If you are reserving using your own Apple ID, be sure to send your friend the e-mail as the store will ask for a printout of it.