Unlocked iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x-ray-cat, Nov 24, 2011.

1. x-ray-cat macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'll be coming to Philadelphia next week (from Europe) - how is the situation on the iPhone 4s (unlocked) - is it possible to just pop by an Apple store and get one, or is there still a great que / line of reservation? I saw that it was only possible to reserve an iPhone with a contract on the Apple.com page.

Thank you in advance

(I am new here, just registered, so sorry if I posted this in the wrong section or something :) )

2. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

3. x-ray-cat thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so it is not possible to but an unlocked iPhone in an Apple store?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They dont have them available at the stores yet.
    Only if you order online on the apple store and have it shipped but that could take a few weeks to arrive.

5. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Why not just get a contract free AT&T iPhone for full price?

6. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

is it unlocked?

7. KPOM macrumors G5

What you should do is log on to Apple's website at 9:00pm Eastern Time at this link. Better yet, log on around 8:55 and keep trying since the phones will be taken very quickly.

Reserve an "AT&T" iPhone and print out the e-mail you get from Apple. When you get to the store the next day, ask them to purchase the phone "Device Only" at full price (e.g. $649 for the 16GB version) and it will be unlocked. It will still have an AT&T SIM card inside, but it doesn't matter. You can activate it and will get the "Congratulations, your phone is unlocked" message.

Note that this works only if you buy the phone from Apple. You can't go to an AT&T store and buy the device full price (if you do, it will still be locked to AT&T).

Yes. That's how I got an unlocked iPhone back in October.

8. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I paid for my 4S full price on a mexican carrier, how do i know if its unlocked like the ATT one? do I just need to insert a different carrier sim? or full restore?

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Either one would work. Inserting another SIM is easiest. If it registers, it is unlocked. Otherwise, you'll get an "invalid SIM" error.