Unlocked iPhone 5 - activate sim?

sohaness

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
so I just received my brand new unlocked iphone 5.
went to boot it up, selected my country, wifi, then was presented with a screen saying my iphone cant be activated because there's no sim.

does it need any old nano sim? or is the phone actually locked?
i was gonna go to the phone shop tomorrow to pick up a nano sim, as i dont have one with me.

am i freaking out over nothing?

ar93

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
LA
went to boot it up, selected my country, wifi, then was presented with a screen saying my iphone cant be activated because there's no sim.

i was gonna go to the phone shop tomorrow to pick up a nano sim, as i dont have one with me.

you could just get any sim card and cut it down to fit the phone. but how do you know its unlocked??

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas

If it's unlocked, all you need is any old nano SIM in there for it to activate.

you could just get any sim card and cut it down to fit the phone. but how do you know its unlocked??
If it was purchased full price, off contract from AT&T or just purchased from Verizon, it's unlocked.

ar93

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
LA
If it was purchased full price, off contract from AT&T or just purchased from Verizon, it's unlocked.
oh ok. well i knew that the verizon iphone 5 was unlocked out of the box but i didnt know about the att ones i thought you had to fill out that form on their website...

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
If it's unlocked, all you need is any old nano SIM in there for it to activate.

The off-contract AT&T ones aren't unlocked. Just off contract, but still locked into AT&T only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.