Unlocked iPhone 5 have same features as a locked phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanMacApple, Aug 3, 2013.

1. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I am considering purchasing an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple to use on the ATT prepaid Go Phone Service. I know an unlocked phone will let you use it with any carrier that it is compatible with but was not sure if there are any features that may not work such as the visual voice mail.

I am not sure if I want to spend the money even though it would be nice to be contract free, anyways anyone who knows if this phone will work the same way as an ATT locked phone or is there some type of resetting I would need to do. Also will AT&T usually supply a SIM as I believe the phone from apple does not include it.

Thanks for your help! Dan

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You wont get visual voice mail on prepaid.
    The rest should work ok.

3. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Visual voicemail is actually a network feature, if the network doesn't support it, it wouldn't matter whether the phone was locked of not.

4. heyitsfez macrumors member

At&t's gophone does support visual voicemail and LTE as well. All current plans support those features, there isn't really a difference between a contract and gophone prepaid besides a contract as far as features go.. I know because I have visual voicemail & lte on my iphone 5, unlocked purchased straight from apple ;)

5. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

False...caught you being wrong lol....esp cause you live on this forum

VVM works on the AT&T GoPhone plans, I'm on the $60 GoPhone plan

6. ghanwani, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I think there is a slight difference in the radio between the AT&T and T-Mobile versions of the phone (or at least there used to be)...the T-Mobile had an additional capability that was needed on their network. If you get an unlocked phone and there's still a difference, you may want to get the T-Mobile version for future flexibility.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:)
    So VVM works on AT&T go phone plans?
    Thanks for the correction.

8. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Yup:
    MMS, VVM, LTE = All works on GoPhone plans without any modifications - Got iPhone 5 Running and getting 15-30Mbps Down/Up (Varies by area) on LTE

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's pretty sweet.
    Is the go phone plans ok?hows the data plans?

10. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Plans great, I recommend it over Straight Talk, Net10 etc and even over T-Mobile/its MVNO plans because of superior coverage. If done right you can buy refills for $54 on callingmart.com (just look for their 10% coupon which is given out once per month everything) gives 2GB Data + Option to buy $10/1GB (haven't had the need so far to buy more)

11. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

12. DanMacApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to everyone for the replies! This has been really helpful!