Unlocked iPhone 5 on 21st SEP?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by golf1410, Sep 12, 2012.

1. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Want unlocked version. But when? Confirm me please. If you did ask reps.

2. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

I'm not there, but I noticed this on the US Apple site in the FAQ's:

"When I buy from the Apple Online Store, does my iPhone come ready to use?
    Yes, if you have selected a mobile phone carrier. When your iPhone arrives, all you have to do is turn it on and follow the onscreen instructions to set it up. If you have selected an unlocked GSM phone, you will need to obtain a SIM card from the supported GSM carrier of your choice and activate it in order to use your iPhone."

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

3. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Earlier on the Apple website, it said you could but it seemed to have changed now.

4. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Well? It is not obviously clear at this point. I want 100% sure.

5. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

So pick up a phone.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

It's probably gonna be like the 4S: it was 1 month before the unlocked phones went on sale in the US, so expect that again until we hear otherwise.

7. bozzykid macrumors 68020

That information isn't new and isn't really helpful to the OP. It isn't clear if you can pre-order an unlocked phone or if you buy an unlocked phone without a carrier from an Apple Store on opening day.

8. turbobass macrumors 6502

Previously they have had a lag between the introduction of the new model and the introduction of the unlocked version -- for the 4S it was about a month.

9. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you missed the bit below, on the iPhone 5 FAQ page where it explicitly says 'If you selected an unlocked phone...'. I'm no genius, but if I wasn't offering unlocked phones, I'd probably opt to not put that in the copy.

Do the math.

10. opnr2000 macrumors member

No unlocked iPhones on launch

I just called APPLE and they said they will NOT be selling any Unlocked iPhone 5s. There is no date on when or if they will sell Unlocked iPhones 5s.

Bummer for me ask i wanted to get one for my sister, she is on tmobile on a 2 year contract =(

11. bozzykid macrumors 68020

It is doubtful they will be offered at launch. They never have before. That text is there because they will most likely offer it eventually. But it doesn't say when it will be available.