Unlocked iphone 5 ships with NO NANO SIM card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thearc, Sep 14, 2012.

1. thearc macrumors member

from the checkout on the Canadian site:

About the unlocked iPhone.
    The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a contract commitment. You can activate and use it on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice. The unlocked iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 will not work with CDMA-based carriers. An unlocked iPhone 5 may not support LTE networks in all other countries; contact service providers for details.
    If you don’t want a multiyear service contract or if you prefer to use a local carrier when traveling abroad, the unlocked iPhone is the best choice. It arrives without a SIM card, so you’ll need an active SIM card from any supported GSM carrier worldwide. To start using it, simply insert the SIM card into the slot on your iPhone and turn it on by pressing and holding the On/Off button for a few seconds. Then follow the onscreen instructions to set up your iPhone.

2. jimbo999 macrumors newbie

Why would they ship you a SIM card for an unlocked phone? How would they decide which carrier's SIM to send you?

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I bought an iPhone case once. IT DIDN'T COME WITH IPHONE IN IT!!!

How am I supposed to use an iPhone case if it doesn't come with the phone???

4. parrot5 macrumors 6502

When I got the iPhone 4, I brought the new phone to an Apple store and asked to "buy" a SIM card. The sales rep gave one to me with a receipt that reads $0. Hoping for the same this year. Saves $10+ from buying at Rogers or Bell.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm at a loss to understand why you would ever think they would include a SIM card with an unlocked phone. What carrier's card would they give you?
    Your carrier is responsible for providing the SIM card - if you buy a phone on contract you get it at the same time, but if you buy an unlocked phone it never has a SIM card with it.

Another name for an unlocked phone is a SIM-Free phone: The clue's in the name ;)

6. KPOM macrumors G5

We need that Captain Picard facepalm right now. :D

The whole point of an unlocked phone is that you use it with whatever SIM card you have. The carriers know this and will have Nano-SIMs ready.

7. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

:eek: Oh No I expected a sim card and a check for the activation fees
    come on seriously ?