Unlocked iPhone 5 - USA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by korbui, Sep 22, 2012.

1. korbui macrumors newbie

Hi has anyone gone too the apple store and Paid full price and recived an unlocked version of the phone? I just wanted to get it confirmed if its possible or not...

2. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

YES!

Commitment free 16GB ATT white version with NO PHONE number assigned to iphone at purchase. Cut T-Mobile sim and it just works! Took the risk and couldn't be happier!

Except I did want a 64GB and they were sold out!!!!

3. Shivneil macrumors newbie

JodyK: How much did you pay for your unlocked iPhone?

4. JakeT85 macrumors regular

JakeT85

I ordered a full price (699 + tax) 16 GB Black AT&T iphone from Apple the night pre orders started. I received the phone and instantly submitted a request for AT&T to unlock the device. They denied it four times and after arguing with customer services about THEIR policy for two hours I said forget it. After I hung up I went ahead and restored my phone, just on a prayer that it may not be locked, and the your phone has been successfully unlocked popped up. I started looking around after that and it appears any AT&T iPhone that is not bought on subsidy is automatically entered into the database to be able to be unlocked. The Verizon iPhone is also unlocked out of the box, contract or no contract. Not sure about Sprint.

5. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Where did you see an option to buy the full price device? (also, normal price is $649, not $699???)

6. nanchen242 macrumors newbie

7. Cebuano1976 macrumors regular

I got mine for $899 (64GB) at Fry's Electronics. It was a VZW iPhone 5. Just put in my T-Mo nano and it worked with T-Mobile.

8. JakeT85 macrumors regular

JakeT85

I meant $649.00, my bad. I just selected AT&T 16 GB Black, and it checked to see if I was eligible for a contract upgrade (I was not) so it popped up to purchase at full retail. I did the transaction, and if you pay full price you don't even have to mess with AT&T to unlock the phone, it is automatically added to the unlock database.

9. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Hmm... I'm eligible for the parital discount ($449 or w/e), but want to pay full price so I don't have to extend my AT&T contract.

I wonder how that would work - if I could just buy, return, and rebuy.