Unlocked Iphone 5s AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mgb1120, Sep 21, 2013.

1. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

Can you walk into a Apple store or AT&T store and request a unlocked iphone 5S at full price? Or are they not available yet? I don't want a T-mobile Unlocked.

2. johnmac59 macrumors newbie

johnmac59

I don't know about AT&T, but I overheard an Apple employee talking to a customer who was looking for an unlocked AT&T phone yesterday and he told him they didn't have any at this point.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

If you buy an AT&T phone at full price it is unlocked. That is what I did.

4. DarkSel macrumors 6502

Why not?

The T-Mobile unlocked phones are the same as the AT&T unlocked phones.

5. mgb1120 thread starter macrumors 6502

Was that for sure? Same LTE networks? Everyone had a different answer for that! So i was not sure

----------

Did you go to AT&T and ask for one or Apple Directly?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Same exact thing and you will get 3G and LTE on either carrier.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They are the same, yes.

And since people are crazy about resell value, I would go with a VZW phone. It will work on all them crazy LTE networks PLUS VZW, and retail price is the same. I managed to snag a 32GB gold today walking in to the store. I wanted a case and happened to ask. Lucky day, but I deserved it (stood in line for over twelve hours and they were sold out... got 5 on launch day)

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Went to Apple. Was asked if I wanted on 2 year contract or full price. I said full price.

Receipt reflects not contract phone and iTunes and misc sites say it's unlocked.

9. mgb1120 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is exactly what i want to do! Nice! Online apple chat says there is no unlocked iphone available and i was like really?????? And you still get 30days ect ect..... applecare and so on... correct?

10. doberman0526 macrumors newbie

I have a chance to buy 64gb verizon 5s for full retail ....so I'll be able to use it on AT&T with no problems even with att LTE???? The model is ME347LL/A. I was afraid it wouldn't work with att LTE

11. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Correct. Same 30 day return, can get AppleCare. The only difference is the fact that the phone is unlocked.

12. mgb1120 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will an apple employee tell you no not available yet? Why are they saying online there are no unlocked phones? You would think they would want the extra $?!

13. OneMike, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

They may have agreements with the carriers, or something else. The AT&T iPhone 5 comes with an AT&T nano sim. So technically it was meant to be used with AT&T. However, if you purchase it at full price it's unlocked, as full price will have not be tied to a carrier contract.

14. mgb1120 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds good! Good to know appreciate it! Will try next week if not the following since stock is out everywhere.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

That is 100% accurate. The 5S has all the necessary LTE bands for ALL carriers. The 5 was Apple's only phone where LTE wouldn't work on other carriers with the VZW phone.